What would be the best way to heat my garage.?

I have a two car garage and i am in the process of insulating it. I am using r13 wall insulation for the walls and I am going to use 3/4 or 1 inch polystyrene with firing strips(for easy removal) for the ceiling. I have natural gas in my home but I would have to dig a trench from the house to the garage. I was hoping to go with one of the ventless wall heaters but I just dont know. I can get a 100 pound propane tank filled for 75 dollars but I dont know how long that would heat it either. This is a repost because the first one that I did I did not give enough info. I am sorry for that. That was my first question. Now that I know what I need to do it wont happen again(hopefully). Thanks in advance

Favorite Answer

Garages often use radiant heaters, and there are many propane models available.

Radiant heat is great for a space you don't want to heat all the time. It doesn't try to heat all the air in the space, but emits long wave infra-red radiation, the same as a heat lamp, or the heat you feel facing a fire.

It makes you feel warm very quickly (speed of light!) and heats whatever the radiation hits, so eventually the stuff in the room will also be warm. Putting them overhead works real well, because we lose heat quickly from our heads...and so heat shining down from above feels real good.

Here's a couple overhead models... http://www.detroitradiant.com/products/ld.html

http://www.heatershop.com/garage_heater_mh25lp.htm...

There are a lot of wall mount units available too... http://www.heatershop.com/infrared_gwrp10.html

Be aware that even ventless heaters like this do consume oxygen in the space, so many have an oxygen sensor that shuts the heater down if it gets too low.

Natural gas is typically less expensive than propane, by a considerable margin, and most would say safer. The convenience of never having to refill a tank would also be a plus. Running an extension line from your home or meter output to the garage is a non-recurring expense, and in my opinion would be the best means for providing fuel.

The gas line can be plastic (specifically for gas) in most areas. At each end there is a steel riser (also specific for gas) used to bring the line above ground and transition back to iron pipe. Running gas line is something that must be done correctly and to code. If you aren't qualified to do that, hire someone that is.

The heat source could be a wall type, but many a good used updfaft furnace has been installed as a garage heat source. Invariably they are the most satisfactory option. These can be bought reasonably- like $100, and can do a great job. The size needed would be typical of small home use. 75K -100K BTU input would be fine. It's important to know the unit is in good shape and that the heat exchanger is not cracked.

It can amount to a free-standing unit. Warm air output can be from a plenum box on top, and handle a garage size area without installing any duct work at all. You need to bring the gas to the unit and 110V power for the blower. A basic thermostat is cheap and easy to install as well. You will have to vent any kind of gas appliance, regardless of fuel or mounting method. The venting installation is not difficult, but is very important and critical to safety. Proper code-compliant installation is a must.

Much depends on the use. If it's only used for temporary heat, the efficiency of the appliance and uniformity of heat may be less important. If it will be used continuously as a home system would, you should consider investing more if needed to get the system well balanced to the need.

pegasusai's answer was excellent, but left out one thing. It is not safe to leave the foam insulation on the ceiling without covering it with drywall. When many of the foam insulations burn, they give off toxic gas.

There was a fire in a commerical building in my city that is now discussed in fire safety classes. No one was burned, but several lost their lives to the toxic gasses from burning wire insulation. Totally different material, same result, they both give off toxic gasses.

When I did a garage like pegasusai described, I used black iron gas pipe all the way. Now days, there are several safe options for gas. Make sure you get something that is rated for outdoor/underground.

I was extrememly happy with this combination and I used it for several years. Old surplus furnace from my house, no ducting, new thermostat, new chimney, new gas line, new electric lines.

The garage was already there when I installed the furnace, so I ran the pipe through the outside wall, as I did the electric. Ran 230volt 50 amp circuit into a surplus breaker box, so I could run the welder, compressor, etc.

• cheezy

hub uses the garage as a woodworking shop. He insulated it & put in ceiling fans. He bought a propane heater which works awesome. A 20 pound tank lasts him 3 or 4 evenings--he has 2 tanks. The ceiling fans really make a big difference.

• Gary D

Personally, I would dig the trench. It will be less expensive in time & money in the long run. Otherwise, there are several good space heaters on the market. I'm assuming you want to keep the garage just above freezing, and not necessarily at 77 degrees throughout the winter.

Solar heating is also a possibility. Depending on the state you live in, I live in MI, the second darkest state in the U.S. so it is not the best place for it from Nov. - Feb. the way it works, is black piping is routed back and forth inside a box painted black. A liquid usually water with antifreeze in it is pumped through it and then into the place needing to be heated. it then passes through a radiator with a fan behind it and blows air through the radiator heating it. You can also store the water in a drum for use at night when there is no sun. It is not a complete heating system, but can greatly reduce your heating costs for little more then the startup cost.

Source(s): Internet and personal knowledge

Radiant floor heating - water runs through tubing that heats the concrete and radiates heat through the garage. I have a home improvement show taped that shows the installation. This would avoid any issues with the gas solution you mentioned. Water is heated by a boiler (or hot water heater) and flows through the tubing (cross link polyethelene clear whitish colored tubing). Check out the library and home centers for more info.

Source(s): The Home Pro series formerly on TLC.

Natural gas would probably be the best choice, because it is almost always cheaper than propane, you never have to refill an ugly tank (assuming its not underground) , and a natural gas line is a one time expense.

• enord

heated garage helps trapped salt rust car faster than cold car.

unvented gas heater produces much humidity.overhead insulation is most important!

good luck

I just had a furnace put in my garage went with natural gas insted of propane. in the long run i think you will much happier with natural gas. like the other people said its alot less hassle.