is it true that lots of muslims are converting to sufism?

this is what i was told by some leading muslim thinkers. is it true?

if so why?

Update:

and bahaism too

Update 2:

yogangal i agree

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

No, it's a typo, they are becoming Surfers. It's really weird to see a chick on a board with a berka though.

• Login to reply the answers
  • mil's
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Sufism is a mystical school of Islam. If a Muslim embraces one, he will still be a Muslim. It may happen because of the Muslim's inner crave for utter spiritual pleasure, for Sufism is about knowing and understanding God, to the extent that when a sufi reads the holy Quran for instance, he will feel as if God is actually talking or communicating with him. It can also occur due to the disgust felt by Muslims in regards with what is happening in the world these days, thus creating the need for God's proximity (to be close to Him).

In spite of that, a common non-sufi Muslim can also enjoy such spiritual pleasure by living his life for God, and enjoining the right and forbidding the wrong (amar makruf nahi mungkar). In fact, a Muslim like me does enjoy reading Sufi masterpieces like Rubayyat of Omar Khayyam, Masnavi of Rumi, etc.

God knows best

Happy Eid al-Adha.

Peace and Love

=)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Sufism is a very beautiful belief system. I have seen nothing to give me any indication that those that follow Muslim beliefs were converting to this form of religion in any significant numbers.

Can you provide more supporting evidence of this?

• 1 decade ago

Sufism is apart of Islam

so even if u r a Suphist u still Muslim.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

mystisism is considered less threatening- besides Bawa is really cool. I am Baha'i and I actually teetered between that and Sikhism for a while. I finally declared because the Faith desribed everything in my heart. I didn't have to leave any part of my heart at home to be a believer. It also added something new. Having been a Baha'i for almost 14 years I would desccribe it as a marraige. I don't always agree with everything but it's the commitment that makes it worth it.

• 1 decade ago

Acouple of known sufis have become mainstream lecturers in the U.S. such as Hamza Yusef. But sufism will never be a majority.

• Shossi
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Sufism is a branch of Islam. And, many people want a more spiritual and mystical kind of religion. You can find this is all faiths.

• 1 decade ago

its not true............. lot of muslims are inspired but u cant say converting. converting is not good word. use inspire instead

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

nope 1st time i hear that.....

my best friend's family is muslim...and they havent converted

so my answer is no

• 1 decade ago

nope

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.