skiagi2k asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Is it safe for my 7 yr old daughter to scoop our cat's litter box?

My mother said there was some kind of bacteria in it that kids and old people should steer clear of, because of there immune systems.

Favorite Answer

I would be careful if she has a weakened immune system. If not, I don't see how it could hurt. What we do here (it may sound drastic) is we have one of those dust masks that we make the kids wear when on pooper scooper duty. They wear it mainly for the smell, I have them wear it just so they're not breathing stuff in. And of course, hands are washed immediately afterward.

Don't take my word on this, but as a microbiologist I really don't believe there is any danger to letting her scoop out the box. The only issue with cat litter is that pregnant women should not scoop litter due to the possibility of contracting toxoplasmosis (a parasite). Normal people with healthy immune systems shouldn't be at risk. It is probably best to check with your pediatrician or other doctor to be sure.

Toxoplasmosis is a parasite that cats can pass in their feces. The cat gets it from eating wild life - mice or birds. So if your cat is indoors and does not hunt outside there would be no danger of that. About 40% of the US adult human population will have anitbodies in their blood from having an infection that they got from handling or consuming raw meat. It is not a serious disease for humans and that may be different for the very young or the very old. You could ask your daughter's pediatrician if it would be dangerous for her to contract it.

I don't think a 7 year old should be scooping cat poop. Too unsanitary and she is too young to know about washing her hands afterward etc. Find another job for her with less germs. there is some bacteria I have heard that pregnant women should avoid, but not sure how it affects kids.

This is safe. There is only one group who should be careful when dealing with the cat litter box: Pregnant women. They have a remote risk of getting toxoplasmosis.

As far as I know it is safe as long as she doesn't eat it and she washes her hands thoroughly after.

The only people I've ever heard of not cleaning litter boxes are women that are pregnant or nursing. That bacteria granny was talking about can cause problems in babies.

Hi there...so long as she always washes her hands afterwards, it is safe and long as she doesn't have a weak immune system. Your mother is speaking of toxoplasmosis, which is found in cat feces as well as in raw meat, raw fruits and vegetables. Pregnant women are specifically need to be most cautious as toxoplasmosis can be passed to the fetus.

More on Toxoplasmosis: http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/infections/parasi...

Source(s): Animal Trainer to domestic and exotic cats

I was scooping cat litter at that age and I had no problems, just the norm every kid goes through when it comes to illness

there is a bacteria in it but as long as your daughter alwayz washes her hands after scoopin out the litter box then you have no worrys in her ever catchin anything. there is no way you can catch somethin from the litter box from the air its impossible its only when you dont wash your hands after and then you put them in your mouth. so if you just make sure your daughter washes her hands everytime wiv an antibcterial hand wash then theres no worrys.

• CF_

unless you mom is licking her fingers after cleaning the box....

ok their is a PARASITE that pregnant women need to be careful to avoid but they can still clean the litter box...and chances are most cat owners have already been exposed to it if their cats go out side (the cats get it from mice)

it is NOT SAFE for a 7 yr old to clean litter box BECAUSE - most signs of health issues show up as a change in the stool - a 7yr old either wont notice the change or wont report it (for fear of kitty getting in trouble or something)

a 7 yr old is too young to have this kind of reponsiblity .. it is a PARENTS duty... heck my kid is 12 and I dont even make her do this...