CapeCodGram asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

I have a border collie. Grooming standards? Hock and Pastern?

I want to get my dog groomed properly. Standard says to trim and neaten the hock and pastern areas. I don't know where those areas are. Any advice before taking her to the groomer would be appreciated. What should I ask for?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The hock is on the back legs - the bone running down the last few inches to the foot (from the bend of the stifle). The pasterns correspond to the wrist in a person - the front legs have a joint near the bottom, again running to the foot. The groomer is not to cut the hair short, just trim it to shape it so it's not scraggly looking.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

The Pasterns are on the front legs between the foot and the knee. The Hock is the Pointed joint half way down the Back Legs.

You should ask for the Hocks and Pasterns to be cleaned, this means clipped very short, and the feet to be trimmed up, and the body to only be scissor trimmed, not clipped.

Here is a site that will show you exactly where the Pasterns and Hocks are at, as well as all the other parts of the dog.

• 1 decade ago

Correction - The hock is a joint on the back leg (the point that protrudes). It is not the whole length of bone to the foot. That is the rear pastern.

• 1 decade ago

yay border collie!!!!!! umm im not to sure on that, i do my border collies grooming myself. maybe look at some show border collie pics and print a pic out and tell your groomer that you want its hair cut like that. i wish i could help more

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

i had a border colli when i was like 6 and he did this herding thing where he would circle us and our old house! he made a mote around our house! it was crazy my mom and dad made us get rid of him! i miss him soooo much!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.