Does anyone know any HIV sites?

My mother told me that she has HIV a couple months ago, and I want to educate myself on it. Because the things that I do know scare me and I'm so scared to lose my mother. So i'm looking for a website that could help me.

Favorite Answer

There are several things you can do to educate yourself, and several things you should not do. Let's start with resources.

In most large metropolitan cities there will be one (or more) HIV/AIDS related service organizations (ASOs). These may be an excellent place to start. Two really valuable web sites are Poz.com and AIDSmeds.com. These sites give a wealth of information and are not pharmacuetical company specific.

Talk to your mother. Show her that you want to learn more about this disease for both your sake and hers. If you live with your mother (not sure your age) it is important for you know how to assist her (if she needs it). You may want to ask if you could go with her to her next doctor's appointment. This may help alleviate some of your fears.

You may also want to consider either attending a family therapy or individual therapy session. It is often just as hard on the immediate family and care givers as it is on the infected individual. You need to be able to talk about your fears and concerns in a non-judgemental atmosphere as you go through the grief process and learn to cope with this new situation in both your lives. There are often free support groups for family and care givers that may provide continued assistance.

WHAT NOT TO DO:

--------------------------

As hard as this sounds, don't go too quickly in the self education process. To much information with little time to process may actually increase your fear levels (it did to me). Pace yourself and give yourself time to think about what you learn.

Don't constantly scan your mother for new signs or symptoms. While you will obviously be worried, this can (and will) add an unneeded level of stress on her. Don't be suprised if your mother lashes out. She is not mad at you, she is trying to lash out at the disease, but you may become a physical target. Be strong, provide support and comfort, but also recognize when she needs time alone. This is a healing process which can take some time.

Above all else, be patient, be supportive, be understanding, and (when necessary) be invisible. Your mother can continue to live a long, healthy life with modern anti-retroviral therapies (when called for by her doctor) and close attention to changes in her body.

I wish you both the best of luck. Your love and support will be a large part of her success.

Todd (AIDS - positive since 2004)

Source(s): Personal experience

I would suggest not relying too heavily on any sites that are pharmaceutical company or government in nature (merck, cdc, etc). They don't always put forth an impartial account. (Not to sound unfair, but let's admit it, there's no money in cures just in medication).

I would read AIDS.org first and see if they offer any links or additional resources.

Center for Disease Control

cdc.gov