Should I add two inches of insulation to my 2 X 4 frame exterior walls to save on heating costs?

My house is wrapped in Tyvex and 1 inch insulation board already.

Favorite Answer

1 inch isn't much of a barrier, and certainly as long as you're using cellular, construction, insulation foam, I suggest take it all the way to the interior face of the 2 x 4. In your case that would allow that a 2 inch thick sheet, cut appropriately would leave approximately 3/8 inch space behind any wall material you install.

Without question it will add properties of efficiency.

Without knowing. Is this new construction? A remodel? The entire structure? What is the substance of the exterior? beyond that you have Tyvek covering it.

I suggest too, checking the attic/crawl spaces, if they exist, and have any insulation there at an R30 rating at least.

I'd be OK following this, if you care to.

Steven Wolf

(The Rev.)

Source(s): 40 plus years as a contractor
  • Newt

If your walls are already finished, this would be difficult. and costly. if they are still open, about the maximum R value for the wall insulation between the studs is R15. Any more will eliminate the necessary air space that creates the barrier between the outside air and the inside air.

The main source of heat loss is thru the windows. Be sure you have low E glass and that all gaps are sealed. If you are at the max R value for the walls, an attic blanket is the next best thing. Heat rises. The idea here is to contain that heat in the living area - not send it thru the attic. It also helps cool in the summer as the warm attic air cannot permiate into the living area.

Source(s): The Mind of Newt

Do the ceiling first as that is where most of the heat loss would go as heat travels upward. And I agree with the windows as well. Home Depot had some neat windows that were vinyl and have eliminated the need for J channel around them. American Craftsman was the brandname, I believe. Check it out. They had a nailing flange and would be simple installation. Also if you do this, make sure you use the water barrier tape - about 4" wide and sticks on over the nailing flange.

If you had the space, etc.. I would add insulation at ANY opportunity that I could

• Maggie

Yes

Any insulation you can add will benifit you later in savings, do it!

Sure it would help save costs. I would not open up walls to do it.

• Duke

Why not ? go for it.