I recently had a virus on my computer and while eliminating the virus I accidentally uninstalled my speakers?

in the add/remove screen. I don't have sound on my computer anymore and for the life of me I can't figure out how to get the sound back. any help would be appreciated.

Favorite Answer

Start,control panel,souunds speech and audio devices, click on speakers.Check all your settings in those tab's.If no help reinstall the driver cd . Also you may have a speaker symble in the task bar bottom right,click it .Take's you to the setting's also.Good luck.

You cannot uninstall your speakers. Well not unless you unplug them!

You may - somehow have un-installed your sound card though this is unlikely.

If you have indeed un-installed a piece of Hardware - Your Sound Card in this case, it will be detected by Windows XP when you re-start your computer and It should then find the drivers and re install them.

On most modern computers - last 12 months - the sound is built into the Main board.

If a re start does not fix the problem - and a Virus has infected your machine, consider a re install from scratch.

Another thought. Your sound system may have coincidentally died at the same time as the virus problem you speak of.

Plug your speakers into an MP3 player or an iPod/Walkman etc to check if they work away from your computer

If the above does not help consider getting your machine to a competent repair facility.

If the sound problems occur intermittently, there could be a interrupt conflict problem. Uninstall the audio and sound drivers and restart the computer. The computer will automatically reinstall the required drivers and the problem will be resolved. For more information you can check the following site: http://fixit.in/sound.html I find the information givenin the site is more useful