Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CareOther - General Health Care · 1 decade ago

Is Sleeping in Bad for my Health?

When I am at school I have to wake up at 6 or 7 in the morning. Now that it's Christmas I am on a 3-month holiday and during the holidays I normally wake up at 3 or 4 pm in the afternoon. I stay up the whole night. Is this bad for my health? I hear working night shifts is not good for you but I am getting my recommended 8 hours per day and I don't try to change my sleeping rhythm suddenly to suit appointment with friends since I have few friends. I want to know whether this is bad for my health and if so how bad.

Favorite Answer

According to a Dr. Day, cancer researcher; there are micro-nutrients that your body releases between the hours of 10pm and 2am while you are sleeping. These things apparently are vital to you staying healthy. There is also something called Red Tart Cherry Juice. This stuff straightens out your circadian rhythms if you are having that much trouble. I don't think 3months of aberrant sleep patterns would be that much of a detriment to your health. But you could worry about it some more and get yourself on Prozac when you're 20. That would be cool.

Why in the world would you want to stay up all night?! Take it from a night worker for 20 years. Yes it is bad for your health, studies have shown that working nights takes years off your life, like 7-10 years off your life. I realize you are only doing this while you are on holiday but you should stay within your regimine you follow most of the year even while you are on holiday. Changing your sleep/wake patterns is not good for your system and you will have to change again when school restarts. You must feel dragged out.

I would say no. I am in the Military and they have me work all hours of the day and night. So I don't get a good sleeping pattern. I sleep when i am off and I work when they tell me to. Like today I have a 24hour shift and I will go home tomorrow around 9 am and go to bed. Other days I go to work at 4pm and get off around midnight so I don't get to bed until after 1am. I am still healthy. So if the miltary can do this to everyone in and we turn out ok. Then I think that you will be just fine.

problem is that you can end up getting really sick due to low immune system from sleep deprivation. You could end up getting mono which may keep you out for a month or more in the worst case. Sleep is critical for you to function normally. Also the day before the exam. Make sure you are well rested cause if you go into the exam with only 2 hours of sleep any stress or anxiety you feel will be magnified.

I'm not a big sleeper myself but, yes it is! The saying "Early to be early to rise makes a man healthy and wise" definately applies here!!! You should be going to bed around 9:00PM and sleep through until 7:00PM. That's a good 10hours of sleep. Then you won't sleep half your day away and you'll have more energy durring the day!

Good luck and happy sleeping!!! :-)

Source(s): My: Experience, Knowledge, Sex...

Yes, stay up the whole night is bad for your health. If you want be a healthy man, then change you current routine. sleep in night only, It is good for everyone.

It's not the best if you are trying to loose weight. Regular sleep cycles give us the best sleep. We need this for our body to remain as healthy as possible.

it depends. oversleeping is not good for mental health however,

did u know that u burn more calories sleeping than watching tv!! so in a way, it is ok, but not really.