angeleyes asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

My 131/2 year old cat has not been urinating. What could be the problem?

He does have a kidney condition so I worry about him. I don't know if that could be the problem or if maybe he has a blockage in his bladder. Any vets out there? And please don't answer me back with sarcastic answers like I don't care about my animals. I've always taken good care of my cats. It's just that right now, I have a big bill with my vet that I'm trying to get paid up and I don't want to take him to the vet yet until I have an idea of what's really wrong. So if there's a very nice vet out there who could give me an answer, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Favorite Answer

Hi there...whenever a cat is unable urinate it becomes a very critical situation as this can be very fatal for a cat within a matter of 24 hours, especially for senior cats who suffer from kidney conditions. Urinary blockages is a possibility as well, however being a senior cat who has kidney problems this would be my primary concern. Kidneys filter toxins from the blood, remove waste from the body (urine), produce a hormone that controls how fast new red blood cells are made, and they help regulate blood pressure and the amount of certain nutrients in the body, such as calcium and potassium. Please consider ringing your vet or an emergency vet immediately. This may very well be a life-threatening condition. My heart truly goes out to you as this is a difficult time.

[edit] I'm so glad to hear your cat was seen today and that there were no urinary blockages and/or any other critical medical emergencies. It's so difficult to give an accurate answer through the Internet since we are unable to know all the details involved with a cat household. Now that you've mentioned in one of your later questions http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AizCt... you had a young rumbunctious kitten who was quite bothersome to your senior kitty and is likely the cause of your cat avoiding the litter box.

Source(s): Animal Trainer to domestic and exotic cats Friend who is a veterinarian Lost a cat to CRF and treating two clients cats with CRF

an animal unable to urinate is an emergency situation and immediate assistance is necessary. if he is unable to urinate he will be very uncomfortable, perhaps squatting intermittently trying to pass urine with no success. sometimes with blood present.

this could be a urinary infection or worse a blocked urethra. this is where crystals etc are formed in the urine at a large amount and try to pass down the tube (urethra) to the outside world (penis). these crystals become stuck and block causing the animal not to urinate. this is an emergency situation and the bladder will continue to fill with urine.

he needs to be seen by a vet urgently to determine the severity of the problem, especially as he already has an underlying kidney condition. depending on the cause the price of care will vary but he has to be seen.

ring the vet asap.

qualified veterinary nurse UK

Could be kidney or bladder stones. Older male cats are not uncommonly found having a bladder infection or an infection in the actual urine tract. Also, has he been eating and drinking normally? If he refuses food or doesn't want to drink he could be feeling pain in his abdomen. I am not a doctor, but I know a lot about animals. I would suggest getting him checked out by a veterinary clinic.

If your cat is a male, it is probably due to crystal formation or a urinary infection. Has your kitty been making a lot of trips to the litter box? If so, watch when he goes to see if he is urinated just a tiny bit. If he is, then its not likely that its blocked.

Check to see if his belly is bloated, and if his bladder is full. If he is bloated, then take him to the vets ASAP, and explain your money situation.

Get him to the vets......... I had a cat with the same thing which turned out to be kidney stones. They had to operate on him to remove them because his bladder was about to burst.

The humane thing to do would be to have that cat put down. I know you think you're doing the right thing to keep him hanging on even though he may be in miserable pain. But at that age try to imagine his feelings. Your Vet will have him on chemotherapy and lexapro as long as you are paying the bill. Don't assume your Vet has the same compassion for your pet that you have. Sorry if that's too rough for you but thats pretty much what I'd tell my daughter and she loves her cats too.

he has a blockage for sure and it will be causing him pain sod the bill at the vets take him to get help quickly, vets will always help your pets out regardless of a bill outstanding.is he still drinking fluids and eating correctly because the more he drinks the more pain-full it will be for him and the more pressure it will put on his badder. please let us know how how is thank you

OMG that is very serious. Take him to the hospital IMEDIALTLEY. No joke!! Your cat is probably "cristalysing" it is when your cat's private area gets a silver shell in it's bladder area that acts like a barrier to keep the pee from coming out. If you do not get him to the hospital, his bladder will probably explode inside him. Seriously, I went through it with my cat.And do NOT put him to sleep unless the doctor insists!

Is he drinking as much as usual? He could be dehydrated.

Also, is it possible he is peeing in an unusual place? Cats often use this behavior to show you something's wrong.

Kidneys are shutting down. Be humane. Have the cat put to sleep ASAP.

Source(s): Went through the same thing.