Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 1 decade ago

Why do people cut?

I've never cut, but I've had several friends who did, and i found out about a year ago that my older sister did for years. My question is, why? What does cutting do for you? One of my friends said that she liked to see herself bleed, that it made her feel like she's getting what she deserves, her punishment. Is that why other people cut, too?

Favorite Answer

As a therapist, I have had many clients (teens and preteens) who were cutters. It was mostly girls, but males are now starting to do it. They say it is the only way they can distract themselves from the emotional pain they are feeling, or feel anything at all. It is highly dangerous, as too many times they go too far and bleed out. Please, do not emulate your friends. If you feel you have problems, find a responsible person to talk them out with. YBIC

Cutting has many justifications that go along with it, the core issue being self-esteem. Some want to feel punished, others want to mask the pain of something else going on with their psyche, still others do it for different reasons altogether. The core of it is their impression of themselves and their feelings on their ability to change what it is that makes them feel the way they do about themselves and their problems.

People often inflict their own wounds to match those caused by others.

Do you like to cut people down to size, by providing them with remarks designed to reduce their self confidence?

You would need to be much sharper than you are, to inflict a wound of any consequence...

from what i know they like to cut cause its a pain that they can control,

i am a cutter. cutting lets out your emotional pain. sounds crazy, but it really does. people dont cut to punish themselves. they cut to relieve stress.