I am planning on doing a punch bowl cake but i was wondering, can i use strawberries instead of cherries?

for those who dont know what a punch bowl cake here is the recipe:

2 boxes of vanilla pudding

1 box yellow cake

2 cans 8oz of cherrys

2 cans 8 oz of pineapple chunks

1 bag Sliced almonds

1 tube 16oz of cool whip

since my mom does not like cherries i was thinking maybe i can substitute them with strawberries do you think that is possible? can i do it with out rouning the flavor of the cake?

thanks

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I don't see why not. Just keep in mind that strawberries have a higher moisture content than the cherries. Now, i don't know exactly how you make this, but when you do, compensate a little and add a bit less liquid to the cake mix when you make it if you add the strawberries into the cake. If you just top the cake with strawberries, then there is no difference, you are just substituting one for the other. Fresh strawberries don't keep well, so make sure that you prepare just before it is eaten, otherwise, you lose a lot of appeal in the strawberries.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Absolutely!!!!! I have made this cake several times, and you can actually use any flavor pie filling you choose. Strawberry actually makes a much better cake than the cherry. Another variation is peach...it is quite delicious. I find that using pineapple tidbits is better than the chunks, too. You still have the say texture, not at all like crushed, but you don't get as large a piece of pineapple with each bite. Happy baking!!!!!

• macks
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Cheese Cake, the others are not able to even faux to measure up. Strawberries simply want to be a part of the Cheese Cake and Jello is a monotonous food plan style food! It can be all concerning the Cheese.

• 3 years ago

Cheese Cake, the others can not even pretend to degree up. Strawberries basically want to be a factor of the Cheese Cake and Jello is a humdrum weight loss software sort nutrition! it somewhat is all regarding the Cheese.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You could either do that or do a little of both 1 can of cherries and a cup of strawberries. Just make sure you sugar those strawberries.

• Kat H
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

I think you could. The trick would be getting the syrup right. You're replacing a can of syrup packed cherries, right? Just make sure to sugar your berries and let them hang out for a while. Then measure the amount of fruit and juice you have. Make sure it's 2 cups fruit and juice. Then you should have no problem

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

no don't use strawberries, they break down too much, they'll be mussy

Source(s): i'm getting hungry
  • 1 decade ago

oh yes yummy cherries!!!!!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.