Yulia
Yulia asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Can a cat eat rabbits?

I've got 2 lop rabbits, and my sister has a big siamese cat. Should I be worried that the cat could eat them?

Favorite Answer

Rabbits, if they're large and healthy enough, can give as good as they get. If you have mini lops, Holland lops, or English lops (with the basset hound ears), the rabbits are definitely in danger. If you have healthy French lops, there's less of a problem, but the cat could be in trouble.

If the cat does attack a rabbit, you'll hear the rabbit screaming. Never leave the rabbits with the cat when you're out of earshot, and put some big shoeboxes with a hole in the side around on the floor, so the rabbits have somewhere to retreat to.

A cat is a natural hunter, they hunt and eat almost anything. I have ten cats and they hunt and eat mice,rats,squirrels and rabbits, and my cats are domesticated they aren't wild. I also feed them cat food and bring them inside at night. I also had cats that wouldn't touch anything unless it came from me. So in answer to you question it would depend on the cat and how big the rabbit is. But 95% of the time yes I think there is a good chance that the cat could and would eat your rabbits. SORRY!

It depends. I used to have a big(about the size of a cat) rabbit that had the run of our big back garden the whole time. That garden was his. If he caught any cats in there he would charge them, jump on them, and pound them with his powerful hind legs. No cats could mess with him.

I've got two cats now and they occasionally come home with small, wild rabbits and, more disturbingly, bits of rabbits sometimes.

Yes, cats can and do eat rabbits. I had a cat who would routinely go out hunting (and eating) right after his own dinner inside.

You should be okay, as long as you don't plan to breed the lops. They are pretty big rabbits, so they should be safe, but babies are too attractive to the cats.

Yes they eat rabbits

Yes. We used to have a female cat when I was growing up who could catch and eat rabbits twice her size.

I had an outside cat of mine bring me a dead newborn rabbit . he had found it up in the woods behind my house. yes he had killed it but his likes my 2 big pet rabbits. he will try to lick them and sleep with them so it depends on the cat . it depends on the situation. good luck.

If he is a strey cat that she found, then yes be worried. Cats That are found in the wild learn how to hunt like wild animals. If she bought it or got it from a good home then no don't be wrried at all they should be fine I dont think that your sister would be abl to even get near a wild or strey cat so I would not be too worried.

Source(s): I have owned many cats.

when I was a kid, my brother and I came across our favorite neighborhood tom cat who had caught and was eating a rabbit in the bushes near our house. It CAN happen.

That said, if your kitty is well fed, she wouldn't kill a rabbit for food, just for sport. She may terrorize the rabbits to death... Bad kitty!

Yes, they can. I actually stood with a group of other people, one time, and watched a cat consume an entire rabbit,