Debra asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 1 decade ago

How to I get rid of a duplicate entry on my credit report?

As some of you might know creditors can sell your outstanding debt to another collection agency. When doing so, that outstanding debt shows up twice on your credit report. The original loan and the new loan. This looks like I have more bad credit that I actually do. My question is; How do I remove the entry that is no longer 'active' and when you have this situation on your credit report, does the second entry effect your credit score?

Favorite Answer

Let me give you some background first.

The only person allowed to post to your credit history is someone with a legitimate claim. Once a collection agency has sold your account, they no longer have a claim and can not post to your credit report.

Many times they will neglect to correct the records, and it's up to the consumer to dispute them.

If you follow the dispute procedures listed below, and they do not remove the duplicate items, you can sue them in small claims court for $1000 for posting unvalidated items on your history.

Just follow the instructions below exactly!

• outler

possibly the suited element to do is record a dispute with the credit reporting corporation, enable them to appreciate that they are reproduction entries and which you may like the surplus entries bumped off. Takes everywhere from 30-40 5 days reckoning on the way you pulled your rfile.

This will defitatelly affect your credit score with duplicate entry.

There is a specific way which you need to remove the duplicate entry without messing things up. Fortunatelly there is free step by step assicatnce to the public...

http://www.disputedemon.com/credit-score/improve_c...

Send a priority letter (has to be returned receipt) to all three credit agencies EQUIFAX, EXPERIAN, and TRANSUNION. Or go to their websites and initiate a dispute, but make sure you go through all of them. It should be taken care of but follow up constantly to be sure.

Source(s): The Credit Road Map" by Patrick Ritchie--a practical guide for navigating your way to good credit ......amazon.com