Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

Is it a painful death to hang someone?. I am thinking Saddam here????

Favorite Answer

Assuming the rope is twice his body length, there is a mathmatical equation that will instantly snap his neck, making the process painless.

I would think that the worst part about it is knowing what is coming.

I don't think there is enough time for pain to register in the brain. I would think Saddam heard a sound, felt his body drop and it was over.

The prisoner's weight should cause a rapid fracture-dislocation of the neck. However, instantaneous death rarely occurs. (Weisberg, 1991)

If the inmate has strong neck muscles, is very light, if the 'drop' is too short, or the noose has been wrongly positioned, the fracture-dislocation is not rapid and death results from slow asphyxiation. If this occurs the face becomes engorged, the tongue protrudes, the eyes pop, the body defecates, and violent movements of the limbs occur. (The Corrections Professional, 1996 and Weisberg, 1991)

• Shossi

It depends---------------if the rope is placed correctly, it is not----just a sudden ''snap, and you are gone''. But, often, the rope is not placed correctly, and the person slowly chokes to death. They say Saddam quickly died-------too bad.

yeah i'd think it would be more painful just waiting on the execution to take place...I couldn't help but wonder, when i was watching the coverage this morning on msn, what goes through a person's head in those last few moments you know?

the fall will snap the vertebrae (the neck) and the trauma is so great that he won't feel it anymore (overload - the brain can't handle all the data running through his brain). then the arteries are constricted by the noose and the brain is deprived of air. in 3 minutes or so, the brain dies for lack of oxygen.

If you hang somebody you won't feel a thing. Might affect you mentally for a while though.

You should try and see, lol. I think it's not painful. They've actually made his life easy. He should be imprisoned for life instead and I personally don't like execution as punishment.

If done right, your neck is broken and thats it. If not you may dance for a few minutes to half an hour.

Source(s): I hope Saddam got to dance.
  • kimht

it best to have enough weight to break the neck so

that person do not suffer suffocation or choke