Currently I have (2) 512 MB cards installed, can I have (1) gig & (1) 512 mb card safely running together?

I heard I can have (2) 512 mb cards running (like I do now) at the same time or (2) 1 gig cards at the same time, but not a 512 mb card and a 1 gig card like I want to. Is this true? It will cost me $300.00 to put 2 gig cards in the computer!

Favorite Answer

If you see 4 slots of RAM, then no. If 3, yes. 4 slots almost always means dual channel and it takes identical pair of memory.

I am assuming you are talking about the ram memory for your computer. If your computer is newer then you should be able to run your 1 gig and 512 with out a problem. But since the way your talking about only running 2 chips your making me believe that you only have 2 slots. Most newer computers come with 3 slots. If your computer is oldier then your mother baord may have a problem figuring the configeration out for them. If you go to the manufactures web site you can look up the configurations for your computer.

In most cases having two different sizes of RAM is not a problem. If the computer is old there maybe a problem. Go to the site of the motherboard manufacturer and check out your motherboard and it will tell you if you can have different sizes or not.

I have three different sizes in mine.

Yeah, listen to "Widepart".. I have 2 512's and 2 1gigs in mine and it works just fine..Don't pay any attention to Maurice.!

Well, you didn't say what kind of cards, so I'm going to assume you mean VIDEO cards. In which case, yes you can if you have a slot open.

I don't think so. I have a 1GB memory, 120 GB hardrive for my computer.