Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

For mature women only. How long do hot flashes normally last?

It's going on a year and 7 months and I see no signs that they are dissipating! It's practically unbearable and is a whole lot worse in the summer time. I would like to hear from women who have experienced what I am talking about as I might have a medical problem which keeps them going on.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • kizkat
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Hot Flashes

Hot flashes, or flushes, are the most common symptom of menopause, affecting more than 60 percent of menopausal women in the U.S. A hot flash is a sudden sensation of intense heat in the upper part or all of the body. The face and neck may become flushed, with red blotches appearing on the chest, back, and arms. This is often followed by profuse sweating and then cold shivering as body temperature readjusts. A hot flash can last a few moments or 30 minutes or longer.

Hot flashes occur sporadically and often start several years before other signs of menopause. They gradually decline in frequency and intensity as you age. Eighty percent of all women with hot flashes have them for 2 years or less, while a small percentage have them for more than 5 years.

Hot flashes can happen at any time. They can be as mild as a light blush, or severe enough to wake you from a deep sleep. Some women even develop insomnia. Others have experienced that caffeine, alcohol, hot drinks, spicy foods, and stressful or frightening events can sometimes trigger a hot flash. However, avoiding these triggers will not necessarily prevent all episodes.

Hot flashes appear to be a direct result of decreasing estrogen levels. In response to falling estrogen levels, your glands release higher amounts of other hormones that affect the brain's thermostat, causing body temperatures to fluctuate. Hormone therapy relieves the discomfort of hot flashes in most cases. Some women claim that vitamin E offers minor relief, although there has never been a study to confirm it. Aside from hormone therapy, which is not for everyone, here are some suggestions for coping with hot flashes:

Dress in layers so you can remove them at the first sign of a flash.

Drink a glass of cold water or juice at the onset of a flash.

At night keep a thermos of ice water or an ice pack by your bed.

Use cotton sheets, lingerie and clothing to let your skin "breathe."

Symptoms of Menopause:

Hot flashes and night sweats. Women often experience hot flashes as an intense build-up in body heat, followed by sweating and chills. Some women report accompanying anxiety as the sensation builds. In most cases hot flashes resolve within two years of menopause, although in some women they may persist for years.

Heart pounding or racing can occur, with or independent from hot flashes.

Difficulty sleeping. Insomnia is also common during menopause; it may be caused by the hot flashes or it may be an independent symptom of hormonal changes.

Mood changes. Mood changes are most likely to be a combination of sleeplessness, hormonal swings, and psychologic factors as a woman undergoes this intense passage in her life. Once a woman has reached a menopausal state, however, depression is no more common than before, and women with a history of premenstrual depression often experience significant mood improvement.

Sexuality. Sexual responsiveness tends to decline in most women after menopause, although other aspects of sexual function, including interest, frequency, and vaginal dryness vary. It is useful to remember that the symptoms of menopause eventually go away.

Forgetfulness. This appears to be one of the few symptoms that are common across most cultural and ethnic groups.

Urine leakage.

Vaginal dryness.

Joint stiffness.

• Login to reply the answers
  • kitt
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

it somewhat is impossible to assert - each and every physique is different. some final for years, some for basically some months. oftentimes they are going to taper off gradually. Mine lasted some 3 hundred and sixty 5 days then began petering out. I nevertheless have them 3 years later, yet basically as quickly as each and each month or 2.

• 1 decade ago

my mother gets them all the time...cuz shes going through menopause for her sometimes they can last a long time other times just short periods..i also get hot flashes i am on 29yrs old..mine just come and last for at least20 min its awful..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.