i am pregnant with my second child. does anyone else have anxiety about going from 1 to 2?

my first child is 20 months. the new baby is due in august. this first one is a handful, with asthma, and allergies. dont get me wrong, hes a joy, but i am plagued with anxiety about going from one to two. anyone else have this?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Erika
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I am also pregnant with my second child. My daughter is almost 15 months old, and will be about 18 1/2 months when the new baby arrives. It does make a little nervous. I am sure that my daughter will be a great big sister - she absolutely loves babies, has seen me hold other people's babies, and has just learned to share. What worries me most is the juggling act of taking care of two kids. Who will take care of my daughter when I am in labor? What if the baby wakes up crying while I am giving my daughter a bath? What kind of trouble will my daughter be getting herself into while I am breastfeeding the baby? And of course, money will be tighter with two around. My second will be a boy, so I need to get a whole new set of clothes, and my daughter will still be in diapers, so that is twice as many to buy. I'm sure these concerns all sound familiar to you. But we are moms. We love our children most, and we make it work. There's no way around escaping those tough days, but your children will know you are caring for them. If you have a supportive partner, you should feel fre to ask him to help out where you need it. It was nerve-wracking thinking about how life would change after the first baby arrived, and things fell into place afterward. The same will happen with baby #2

Source(s): 22 weeks pregnant with #2
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

I think that every mother goes through this. My eldest daughter is almost 9, my step-son is 8, and our youngest son is 14 months old. We are expecting baby # 4 in June. I was terrified on how our oldest two would accept a new baby into the house when I was pregnant for our son...They were 'only' children until my fiance and I got together, mind you the two of them grew up together, so when we all moved in together, it wasn't a big deal.

When our son was born, My daughter was really cool with the idea. My step-son had real issues with 'sharing' his dad with yet another child. He still gets really jealous sometimes. And now being pregnant again, I'm sure that were looking at more jealousy on his part. But believe me when I say - you really CAN love more then one child. It just comes naturally.

Source(s): mom of three, one more to be
  • 1 decade ago

I had the same anxieties about number two. My first was 19 months old when I had my second and I was very afraid because my first was a handful. My son who is now one was the best baby you could ever ask for and everything I worried about before didn't come true. The second is so much easier than the first especially when you expect the worst.

• 1 decade ago

Yup! You're perfectly normal. Rest assured. You've got several months to adjust to the idea and in the long run you will manage just fine and I'll even bet that you'll wonder what you were so worried about. You'll love them both and I'm sure you'll be able to give them the care and time they need. Remember, that just because your first child has had some medical issues that need management and take time to care for doesn't mean your second one will.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Yes I did have that anxiety of going from 1 to 2 but it isnt as much as my worrying about going from 2 to 3... my daughters are 16 months apart - my oldest turned 3 in October, my youngest will be 2 in February and I am due for my 3rd in June...so when you think about going from 1 to 2, SMILE! :) Its not bad - I know you get nervous and wonder what you are going to do, but it will seriously all fall into place!!! God bless

Source(s): Myself
  • 1 decade ago

Yes, I have a 1 yr old he just turned one on the 22nd of dec and my second is coming jan 2nd. I feel like one is a handful, but I hope it aint going to be that bad once one gets out of diapers.

• 1 decade ago

You will be fine just relax a little. Don't forget you are basically caring for two already. It will come naturally and you wont notice too much if you have one you can have two. Just enjoy being 100% devoted to your son at the moment. And don't worry.

Source(s): Mum of 2 boys.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.