Is this equation correct?....Liberalsism = Ignorance?

If not, what does it equall?

sorry, slow net makes for crazy keystrokes

liberalism = Ignorance?

Favorite Answer

No and you might want to check your spelling before you accuse a large group of people with ignorance lol.

Since you asked liberalism is about concern for the well being of humankind in general.

I have to chuckle at cp's answer above accusing liberals of being close minded. Have you been paying attention to what's been going on with the Bush administration?

I think in many, many cases it is correct.

Unfortunately, in other cases liberalism = socialism. With full knowledge and intent.

Speaking of closed-minded -- check out all the thumbs-down given to the anti-liberal comments! Expected, of course.

Liberalism = socialism = the public (you and I) pays for the expenses of poor people by means of taxation, even when the poor person either refuses to work or has huge medical expenses due to their own negligence. Liberalism = socialism = redistribution of wealth. Equals anti-capitalism, so why try to make a better life for yourself if the government plans to take most of it away for the common good? Liberals = a world where everyone (except the politicians of course) lives in a small house, is too poor to have a car, but HEY, we're all equal, so be happy!

By the way, I'm a single mom, three kids, living below the poverty level, but refusing to be on government assistance (taxing my neighbors to pay for my expenses). Why should anyone try to better their situation if they know the government is always there with a safety net?

And I'm a libertarian, not a conservative. We believe 100% in personal freedom AND personal responsibility.

In spite of the fact that so many people seem to be obsessed with labels and defining them - as if we couldn't have a mature political discussion WITHOUT using those words - here's what the word "liberal" means to me.

Basically, having more of an open mind to problem solving as opposed to an "either-or," "black/white" mind. Believing (from experience) that there are more than two options/solutions to any problem.

Being open to experiences and accepting people, regardless of their sexual orientation.

Believing that young people deserve information and access to contraception, as opposed to being told some BS story about "abstinence."

Believing that what you or I purchase to read or view or borrow from a public library, those choices are nobody's damn business. It's called freedom.

You want to live in your little "black and white" world, that's your problem...

Maybe "ignorance" is not a good definition. Maybe "selective blindness" would fit better.

IMO the (self styled) "liberals" tend to look at the world in terms of how it "should be"- and not how it really is.

An excellent example of such wishfull thinking is the "Iraq Study Group" report

What makes things even stranger is the fact that "liberals" are terribly close minded and bigoted people, dismissing any idea which does not fit into their "one and only correct" (politically correct) view of the world.

Makes me wonder why they insist on calling themselves "liberals"

• Rich B

No, that is not correct.

Liberalism equals just another view in the spectrum of ideologies involving socio-political thought. Doubt that is what you were looking for, but there you have it.

• J D

Liberalism is not always ignorance, it's usually a snobbish "I'm more enlightened than you" type of view. The good thing is that most people outgrow it eventually.

Liberalism = truth , justice, and the American way.

no. liberalsism = poor spelling skills.