I have a fan in my room that makes the power in the whole house trips.?

I have a table-top fan in my room.

Each time I use it after a while, it will cause the circuit breaker to cut the power in the whole house.

It usually trips in the early morning around 7am.

Recently, it trips more often and sometimes even after 30 minutes of using it at night.

Each time, I will need to unplug the fan socket and go to the living room to switch back on the "Fuis" at the main circuit box.

I have tried using the fan in the living room to check if the problem lies in the fan or the socket in my room. And I noted that the power still cuts off when i use the fan in the living room or kitchen or other rooms.

Instead of throwing the fan away, is there any way that I can change something in the fan so that I can still use it?

Thank you very much.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Don't use the fan until find you find the issue at hand.

    You note circuit breaker (singular) and note "cut the power in the whole house"

    Your house should have more than 1 circuit breaker, and the offending fan should only be tripping 1 circuit, not all circuits.

    In other words, after tripping, you should have electricity somewhere in the house.

    If not, the house is improperly and insufficiently wired, and overloaded -- a dangerous situation.

    You also note 7am, as a frequent time of occurrence - is a family member using a microwave, hairdryer, coffee machine, toaster at this time ? This suggest an overloaded circuit.

    Whether the fan, or the overload, you and your family are in a dangerous situation.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    From what you describe, the fan seems to be the culprit. However, you want to keep the fan. You might want to ck if there's electric continuity between either plug prong and any metal frame part; if there's no metal frame part to use besides the blade guard, then good; but try it. Late model table fans tend to have lots of plastic encasement. That curbs the shock risk. Continuity between either prong and and metal frame part would indicate a short (and a potentially lethal shock hazard).

    It's possible you have a thermal short -- where heat causes wire expansion beyond its designed limits and provokes a short.)

    If the shock hazard isn't there, check it's current draw when operating. Small table fans these days probably draw less than 60 watts, which would imply about .5 amp in the U.S. If yours draws significantly more, that is if it draws more than its labeling implies then you'd be using less electrical energy and probably removing a shock hazard if you were to chuck the fan. Small table fans would cost between $8 and $20.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    It probably a case of too much current being drawn overall. The fan is just the kicker. It's also possible the bearing on the motor are going out and causing to much current to be drawn when they happen to catch. The key is what is the Amperage rating on the fan and what is the total amperage of the line. If the overall live is too close to the limit any fan or hair dryer might blow it. They only thing you could do with the fan is replace the electric motor if it is worth it.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    The fan motor is obviously faulty. I've had a few like this where the windings are bad, causing the fan to draw way too much power. This fan should be considered a fire hazard and be disposed of. Even if is doesn't cause a fire the smoke from the motor windings (should it overheat/burn) will be very toxic and acrid, and will take a long time to dissipate. Don't gamble, DISPOSE of the fan.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 years ago

    First, enable me say thank you for serving. Your breaker field has 2 stages coming in of one hundred twenty five volts each and each section, what got here approximately became a independent became shared between the two stages interior the lighting fixtures circuit whilst the wires have been twisted at the same time allowing potential from one section to back feed interior the direction of the subject-loose producing 225 volts have been it burned on the packing containers. The Electrician fixed this subject with the aid of terminating all neutrals to the bar interior the breaker field. Shared commons can in basic terms be used particularly circumstances and in basic terms on circuits of the comparable section. shop the Electricians card reachable because of the fact he's sweet at his commerce.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    Sounds like this fan is special to you. If it is an antique you may be able to save it if you replace the motor inside the housing. Odds are that the motor is the culprit of the current overdraw. Either way do not use the fan until you replace it or its motor. Look for a small appliance repair shop or consider a class at your local community college.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • lj1
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    Unless you are a certified electrician, you would be better off just buying a new fan. Unless it is a really good fan, it might be cheaper to buy a new one than to buy replacement parts for the one you have.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    It's drawing too much current, unless you are a competent electrician I wouldn't touch it yourself, you could make things worse

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    it is stuffed(broken)dump it & get a new one

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.