Are Shi'a muslims more tolerant of other faiths and cultures?

Or do they also see everyone else as evil and sinful?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It's been my experience working with Shiites that they are more tolerant and committed to peace. I have worked in Iraq and my job was to train the local people in security and police operations.The Shiites were more cooperative in working jointly with Sunnis and Kurds. The kurds were also good people to work with. The Sunnis proved to be a difficult group. They were many occassions where our people would have to break up fights betweeen the two as they were reporting to their work locations.We designated seperate sides of the roads to work on and on many occassions the Sunnis were found to be on the other side starting trouble. I can also recall Shiites bringing food for the whole security team. the Sunnis never did. I remember asking one who was a Sunni why they couldn't work cooperatively in harmony. He said he personally wanted to work in harmony, but was ashamed by what his fellow Sunnis would think of him.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Radical Islam—a Threat to Freedom of Speech?

His often controversial daytime talk show weathered every storm until the one that broke in early January with the publication of an article Mr. Kilroy-Silk wrote for the British Sunday Express. In it, he made some blunt statements about human rights in Arab countries.

Nothing he said was untrue—but that's not the point. PC says otherwise and PC rules.

The words of the prophet Isaiah come to mind: "Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; who put darkness for light, and light for darkness" (Isaiah 5:20). What used to be considered good is now described as evil and vice versa.

In neighboring Spain, a Muslim cleric recently caused controversy when he published a book advising Islamic men on how to beat their wives and avoid prosecution—a classic example of how multiculturalism and tolerance are being taken advantage of.

Meanwhile, 80 percent of the imams in American mosques "are under control of radical extremist Muslims who teach violent jihad" (ibid.), a fact that bodes ill for the next generation of Americans

In summation, Mr. Cummings wrote: "The only way to defeat this militancy and the concomitant terrorism of an amorphous al-Qaeda is not only to foster a dynamic and moderate Islam, but also to engage in a deep introspection. Is it just 'our freedoms' they hate, or something else? Perhaps it is our own lack of a sense of the sacred and our failure to appreciate that our avarice has engendered deprivations elsewhere that engender such rage. As Burke [the book's author] advises, 'All terrorist violence, "Islamic" or otherwise, is unjustifiable, unforgivable and contemptible. But just because we condemn does not mean we should not strive to comprehend. We need to keep asking why.'"

Mr. Burke writes of the need to "keep asking why." This is made impossible by political correctness, which has already made a determination, the verdict being that all cultures can live together in perfect harmony and that, in the event of disharmony, it's all the fault of those brought up in the traditions of the West. It should be noted that not one Islamic nation believes this, as none allow immigration from the West—they do not believe in assimilation.

• mil's
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Islam, be it Sunni or Shia recognises religious pluralism. The actions of some cannot be used to demonise the whole religion.

I quote:

If one goes by the Qur'anic pronouncements Islam not only accepts the legitimacy of religious pluralism but considers it quite central to its system of beliefs. There are very clear statements to this effect. First we will refer to the verse 5:48 in this respect. The verse goes as follows:" Unto every one of you We have appointed a (different) law and way of life. And if Allah had so willed, He could surely have made you all one single community: but (He willed it otherwise) in order to test you by means of what He has given you. Vie, then, with one another in doing good works! Unto Allah you all must return; and then He will make you truly understand all that on which you were wont to differ."

This is very seminal statement in favour of religious and legal pluralism which Muslims, specially the Muslim regimes, have not considered seriously. Many classical as well as modern commentators have commented on this significant verse...

...It is unfortunate that most of the Muslim countries do not adhere to this spirit of pluralism and diversity in the Qur'an and sunnah. The extremists and fundamentalists among the Muslims in these countries attack the spirit of pluralism and want to create a monolithic society.

End of quote - ISLAM AND PLURALISM by Dr. Asghar Ali Engineer

God knows best.

Peace and Love.

• 1 decade ago

well if you look at Muktada Al Sadr, he looks evil to me...

Sending death squads to kill other Muslims... But again I am a critical thinker so I do not make hasty generelizations, I would say treat people the way you want to be treated and judge all people of a certain label because there are inevitable going to be differences.

The terrorists who claim to be Sunni are really Kharajite (outsider) they are following their own desires and interpreting things the way they would like, and are killing women and children... (FORBIDDEN By the Prophet) so how can you claim to be Sunni (following the way of Prophet) yet clearly go against that?

I'll prove it too,

The Prohibition of mutilating the Dead and stealing from the captured Goods

Allah said:

[وَلاَ تَعْتَدُواْ إِنَّ اللَّهَ لاَ يُحِبُّ الْمُعْتَدِينَ]

(but transgress not the limits. Truly, Allah likes not the transgressors.)

This Ayah means, `Fight for the sake of Allah and do not be transgressors,' such as, by committing prohibitions. Al-Hasan Al-Basri stated that transgression (indicated by the Ayah), "includes mutilating the dead, theft (from the captured goods), killing women, children and old people who do not participate in warfare, killing priests and residents of houses of worship, burning down trees and killing animals without real benefit.'' This is also the opinion of Ibn `Abbas, `Umar bin `Abdul-`Aziz, Muqatil bin Hayyan and others. Muslim recorded in his Sahih that Buraydah narrated that Allah's Messenger said:

«اغْزُوا فِي سَبِيلِ اللهِ، قَاتِلُوا مَنْ كَفَرَ بِاللهِ، اغْزُوا وَلَا تَغُلُّوا وَلَا تَغْدِرُوا وَلَا تَمْثُلُوا وَلَا تَقْتُلُوا وَلِيدًا وَلَا أَصْحَابَ الصَّوَامِع»

(Fight for the sake of Allah and fight those who disbelieve in Allah. Fight, but do not steal (from the captured goods), commit treachery, mutilate (the dead), or kill a child, or those who reside in houses of worship.)

It is reported in the Two Sahihs that Ibn `Umar said, "A woman was found dead during one of the Prophet's battles and the Prophet then forbade killing women and children. '' There are many other Hadiths on this subject.

We must remember one thing about sects though,

[006:159] Verily, those who divide their religion and break up into sects (all kinds of religious sects), you (O Muhammad [Peace Be Upon Him]) have no concern with them in the least. Their affair is only with God, Who then will tell them what they used to do.

(V.6:159) It is said that the Prophet [Peace Be Upon Him] recited this Verse and said: "These people are those who invent new things (Bid'ah) in religion and the followers of the vain desires of this Muslim nation, and their repentance will not be accepted by God." (Tafsir Al-Qurtubi)

[It has been narrated in the Hadîth Books (At-Tirmidhi, Ibn Mâjah and Abu Dâwûd) that the Prophet [Peace Be Upon Him] said: "The Jews and the Christians will be divided into seventy-one or seventy-two religious sects and this nation will be divided into seventy-three religious sects, all in Hell, except one, and that one is: on which I and my Companions are today, i.e. following the Qur'ân and the Prophet's Sunnah (legal ways, orders, acts of worship, statements)."]

*Side-note Religion is the way you live, it isn't the same as ethnicity.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

As a former muslim and former shiite, I can tell you that shiites are different directions, one which keep away from politics which called now "classical shiites", and one that is political shiites, which called modern.

classical is more tolerant, but not like moderate christians in the west. maybe like conservative christians in the west. however, the good thing they are away from politics. however, this direction is fading. and still have worse thing that people still folllow religious clerics.

modern is more terrorist like: for example, hizbollah, iranian regime, Sadr. all those modern shiite movements and of course known as sucks and they are not tolerant to each other, not for other religions..

there is another fact, that shiites generally oppressed by sunnis, so they more try to look nice to other religions and sometimes more ready to be secular or tolerant... as myself, I saw reality from both sides and saw reality of islam, then I left islam forever. my opinion

• 1 decade ago

Muslims dont see anyone as evil and sinful, its not our business to judge people! Why are you stucked with Muslims?

• 1 decade ago

Ali Ibn Abi Talib was a peaceful man

• 1 decade ago

all muslims are tolerant to other faith and cultures. but there are few very few Extremist and religious leader who dont behave properly. and they can be found in every religion and culture.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.