Our area does not have high speed internet access? Isn't there a law that carriers must provide it?

I've heard that if you get 50 households to sign up, the local provider must offer it. Urban myth?

Favorite Answer

Don't you worry there will be high speed access available to everyone in due time .

Not really. The FCC ruled that most carriers would be exempt from providing HS Internet if it was a financial hardship on the carrier. In rural areas, it is usually not cost effective because of the concentration of population. However, you could get a satellite service. They provide, at a considerable price, a high speed service.

There is no such USA wide law, mainly because the most common broadband, DSL, does not work when an end-user is more then about 18000 feet (wire length) from the telephone company central office.

This is a technical limitation as the signal is just to weak to properly synchronize and the internet speed would be actually slower than plain old dial-up.

There is no law that I am aware of, however I heard that the Federal Government has promised States incentives to provide rural locations with high speed internet. Ya might wanna write a letter to your representative asking him if there is plans for the State to take advantage of those incentives.

I have never heard of it, however you can talk to your States Public Service Office and ask them about it

• NO