Is it legal for a leased apartment to be sold to someone else who is then made your lanlord?

I signed a lease for an apartment and then before we even moved in it the complex was sold to a new owner who then sold the apartments in the complex as condominiums. We're now being forced to mail our rent out of state (which sounds a little impractical and not very safe) to the new lanlord and are encountering a few other nuisances along the way. If anyone can clue me into the rights I'd have under this situation, that would be great.

Favorite Answer

Hey man I know where you can score some pretty sweet coke.

Source(s): I'm a drug dealer

It is legal. A friend of mine moved into an apartment he could afford, signed a lease for a year and 6 months later the apartments were sold to individual owners. My friend sends his rent check to another city while the owner fixes nothing that needs repair.

The lease you had with the former owner was null and void once they sold to the new owner.

You should be glad you aren't being evicted, which is what happened to me 5 years ago. The previous owners were told the new owners were going to honor the lease of their tenants, but once they bought the place we were all 'asked' to leave.

If I am not mistaken, they must honor your lease. But you must check your lease to make sure that it did not contain provisions about sell of complex and your loss of rights to complete your lease. More than likely, they will ask you to purchase a condo at the market rate in order to stay. If you haven't moved in yet, I would ask the new owners to buy out your lease as compensation for inconvenience, especially if you cannot afford the asking price.

YES

Just because there are tenants in residence doesn't stop the owner selling it on.

You still have the same tenancy rights under the new landlord as the old one.

And if all that has changed is that you are having to mail your rent I can't see what you are moaning about.

1) WE DON'T KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE 2) did anything about the lease change except for the mailing address? 3) are you kidding? 4) ask your state/lobbyist/research online for your state.

It is legal. The owner has the right to sell.

Totally legal. As long as they aren't evicted you.