How do I free up my computer's hard disk space?

Whenever I set my computer to hibernate, it loses some hard disk space. How can I recover the lost space?

• jan
    Favorite Answer

It isn't 'losing' space.

It is setting space aside to hold the info it needs to store to enable hibernation.

If you want hibernate to work it needs to reserve that space.

If you want the space you can't use hibernate.

///

You cannot recover the space required for hibernation. I suggest cleaning other items off your hard disk. You can burn items to a CD or DVD or even copy them to a USB thumb drive. You may also want to make sure you empty your recycle bin from time to time.

I hope this helps.

Windows collects crap, in lots of ways.

The best way is to delete any programms, games you no longer use.

Then download "Clean up", its a freeware (free) application which deletes unwanted files, link below.

Don´t use Hibernate

What I do is Format my hard drive every 3 months or so, re-install windows. This is complicated and ALL data on the Hard drive gets lost unless you´ve backed it up. Don´t do this unless you kow how to.

dont use hibernate dont know how you lost free space only way to get it back is to start over