What do I need for good CD label printing?

Have a rubbish printer at the moment ($60 job). Want to be able to print convincing cd labels. Need to look good. What do I need hardware/software wise?

After recommendations on printers, CD application kits etc. Just want to be able to produce a CD label indistinguishable from the real thing (don't worry its all harmless, just my music collection!)

Can I achieve this for under £100 ($196)?

Favorite Answer

Not without a thermal color printer that prints directly on the media.

(the B & W ones are most affordable)

Examples :

http://shopping.yahoo.com/search?p=thermal%20cd%20...

regards,

philip T

• steve

"Indistinguishable from the real thing"? Really tough. To do so you would need to first scan the original CD's label with a good quality color scanner, and then you would need software to lay the image from the scan onto a CD label template. Finally you would then need to print the finished CD with a good quality inkjet printer. All components are readily available, but I don't think that you'll be able to stay within your stated budget.

Many companies have printers that print directly on the CD/DVDs, I have seen the results and they were very professional. No labels, printed just like the commercial stock. cheaper and easier.