I have a setter birdog, 8 months old, she hunts quail great, but,will not hold a point,what can I do?

Favorite Answer

a friend of mine will take a puppy that wont hold a point and short chain him to an experianced older dog one that is heavier than the puppy in that manner he will learn how to point and when to break point the older dog would have to be steady and reliable to do this though so look for that in a "trainer"dog

#1, since your bird dog is 8 mos old I get the feeling you started a little late, but your problems can be corrected w/mucho patience. I advize you to get a book by Richard A Wolters titled "Gun Dog" & employ what you learn from this tome. As a waterfowler, I bought "Water Dog" in 1974 to use training a Lab -- BEST tool ever!! When you read & study the 49 day scenario, you will understand.

that is great that a 8 month old pup is hunting good, just keep working with her and she will learn.

All you have to do is bring out the bacon.

Go on now, start cooking up some bacon!

Source(s): Professional dog trainer.