Eid al Adha: Why is it celebrated at different days in different countries?

Can some one give me a serious answer? I've just reverted to Islam, and trying to find out all i can. Now, some of my friends celebrate today, some tomorrow, some monday...... How come a shared feast is celebrated on different days?

Favorite Answer

is it because the islam calender is a lunar one, meaning that the events are based on the positions of the moon, and in different places the moon will be in different positions....

It is celebrated on the 10th day of the month of Dhul Hijja (ذو الحجة) of the lunar Islamic calendar, after Hajj, the annual pilgrimage to Mecca in Saudi Arabia. This happens to be approximately 70 days after the end of the month of Ramadan.

It seems that the problem with the date is the conversion to the Gregorian calendar. The Islamic calendar is a lunar, whereas the Gregorian calendar is a solar calendar.

My understanding is today is the correct day for the beginning.

It is a four day Celebration.

This is a celebration of the event when Abraham took Ishmael to Mount Moriah to sacrifice him to God. This differs from the Jewish account of Abraham taking Isaac to Mount Moriah to sacrifice him to God.

grace2u

• mil's

"It is because the Islamic calendar is a lunar one, meaning that the events are based on the positions of the moon, and in different places the moon will be in different positions" - jeff h

what he said.

Just like the times of prayer although in this case, they are determined by the positions of the sun. I hope you get it my brother.

Happy Eid al-Adha

Peace & Love

=)

Islamic calander is depending on the Moon, and we can celebrate the eid and all Islamic events on the vision of Moon, and when its seen in a country or a region they celebrate the islamic events, i hope it clears a lot of questions in your mind... thanks

It depends on whether the moon is spotted or not. If it's a cloudy day at the particular area, then the moon cannot be seen and date is pushed back

This is a very good question, its the lack of unity, frankly it appalls me.. I am 18 year old muslim can't believe they cannot agree on the date.. A Muslim scholar was talking about this.

You should check with your local mosque when they offer prayer.

And God knows best.

Peace be with you

it all because of clergy men who divided muslims into this.

dont wory u will be used to it next time

happy eid to everyone!