LAN acquiring network address non stop when try to set "obtain an IP address automatically"?

I have LAN with 4 PC all set to "obtain an IP address automatically". And they work properly with my Linksys router. However, my laptop (Dell inspiron 4150) only work if I set it to fix ip address manually. Any attempt to set it to "obtain an IP address automatically" will end up with non stop "acquiring network address". And Laptop will not connected with LAN. It happen to both wire or wireless network.

I can't connect with WiFi at some hotspot due to my fixed ip address setting. But I can't set "obtain an IP address automatically" as it will end up non stop acquiring network address.

I test my laptop with different wireless card, router, LAN. My problem still there. I think may be some network setting problem with my laptop. But I really don't know how to fix it.

Very appreciate if any one could help.

Favorite Answer

Dell reported that there is a problem with their laptops network drivers, especially wifi. The best option is to download latest drivers from http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.as...

This could be an issue with an incorrect wireless security key. One way to isolate this is to TEMPORARILY turn off wireless security on your router and see if that fixes it. But you should always turn wireless security back on after completing this test.

If wireless works without security, then clearly there is an issue with the security setting. Make sure that your router and laptop have the same wireless security key. I'd try various options (using WEP rather than WPA, using 64 bit rather than 128 bit) to see if there is a particular conflict between your laptop and your router.

Are you sure that the connection won't work when connected via a wired connection? Make sure that you disable your wireless connection when testing the wired connection, to be sure that you aren't confusing the laptop with the wireless connection.

Fixed the same problem yesterday - Disconnect from the wireless connection its trying to aquire the address from - then re-connect and enter your Security Password - If you entered it incorrectly the first time it will give the "error" you mention and keep trying 4 ever.

set up you ip manually for your lap top

It sounds like the DHCP server may not like your laptop.