statutory rape???

I have a friend who is 19 and he is hanging out with a girl who is 16. They are just friends and have no sexual relationship and he keeps joking that them two hanging out can get him in trouble such as statutory rape. I was just wondering if he really can be charged for anything if they are just friends and nothing more. We live in missouri if that changes anything

• kp
    Favorite Answer

No law against hanging out. But since she’s a minor, her parents get to decide who she’s allowed to hang out with. IF her parents are okay with it, it’s fine. She is below the age of sexual consent for the state of MO, so if they have sexual contact—note: CONTACT, not just intercourse—that is against the law.

For starters I guess legally the is no real problem but he is messing with a dangerous situation. States do have all different laws concerning this issue but I would question any such relationship when it crosses the legal lines. I think your friends judgment is in pared and he needs to rethink he's motives on this one.

• mandi

I stay in Florida and don't have self assurance there's a difficulty Florida Stat. Ann. §775.15 No statute of obstacles for sex battery if sufferer suggested the offense interior of seventy 2 hours. Florida S 698 (2001) Tolls the statute of difficulty till a sufferer of a sexual offense reaches age 18 even as the sufferer is a minor, or till they record it to authorities, whichever takes position first.

In the state I live in. 16 IS the age of consent. a 16-17 year old can have a relationship with someone through the age of 24.

Look heres the deal ! I doesnt matter if your having sex or not if she one day gets the notion that your more than a friend and tells everyone you had sex with her You will probably be in trouble anyway . I think your on dangerous ground ! Get out and get out now till shes legal ! Dont ruin your life !

As long as they aren't having sex then there shouldn't be a problem. Besides in many states there isa 3 year rule in effect that as long as the age difference is not more than 3 years there isn't a crime involved. Something to look into....

She needs to read "The Gift Of Fear" by Gavin De Becker, a favorite of law enforcement for it's easy reading and very empowering advice.

You each need to ask yourselves if you can think of any wholesome, innocent reason that this man thinks this type of remark is humorous. It is a red flag.

Source(s): "The Gift Of Fear", experience

Tell him to wait until she is 17yrs old. If they want to have sex at that time then enjoy the feelings and be prepared for the consequences's.....If he can keep it in his pants until then he will not be violating any laws in this country.

I believe that 16 is concenting age in some states, but i could be wrong.

• nickle

As long as there is NOTHING SEXUAL going on and they are ONLY friends he should not have any problems.