Martial Arts Training?

I am in a program for a commission in the marine corps. I know the marines have an intensive martial arts program. (MCMAP) I wrestled in high school and I have started boxing and jiu-jitsu. Over the summer, I am planning on taking some classes in Krav Maga. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for better disciplines for the military or how this regimen sounds in general.

Favorite Answer

I'm a retired military man and Deputy myself and understand your concerns. I have been involved in the martial arts for over 27 years and have been teaching for many years also. In my view there are "NO" one proven doctrine to fix all. Just as all arts are great in their own way, it just depends on the practioner. Your Jiu-Jitsu and Krav Maga are a great start. Look into others as well. Jiu-jitsu is all well and good if you are controling just one individual. But what are his friends doing? I dont think they are just going to watch you kick thier friends teeth in. So try Shotakan, Hapkido, Shorinji Kempo etc.. Get my drift. Just keep studying and striving for self excellence.. Take care. Semper Fi.

Sounds like you are doing all of the right things. You've made a good choice with the Marine Corps. I've been on active duty for 20 years and I'm glad to see we finally had a program where individuals could excel in Martial Arts. Good luck, semper fi.

I agree with new, I`ve studied the martail arts for over 30 yrs, and still learn something new every day. Learn all you can when you can, never think you have learned it all, and try different arts for different situations. good luck with your studies.