Can't be romantic if I have been divorced?

Now I think I have met my match.. in a really good 1 - 2 hour phone conversation with a new girl. Something she said bothered me. But that is just an opportunity to learn more.

We both are romantic and when we were discussing that she pondered how I "could be" romantic if I have been through a divorce.

Does that make sense? Is there a stigma here now? Do people get second chances? Certainly I deserve a second chance at being romantic and doing a better job?

Truth be told, I eventually failed in the romantic department in the last marriage or it would not have died and work would not have taken over..

But live and learn right?

Favorite Answer

Hey Dan, romance is only in the eyes of the beholder. You act, she says you are being romantic. She acts, you say she is romantic. When you act, your thought is probably to impress her, to attract her, to "get" her, etc. If she likes whatever it is you are doing, she calls it "romantic". You can be divorced multiple times, you can be married, you can be single and still be "romantic"...or not. So don't worry about how she perceives you, she will decide how you are acting, not you.

Divorce happens due to things not under our control, and it is associated with marriage which is a contract.

Love and Romance are games with rules, which can be learnt.

Love and Romance have nothing to do with marriage (a legal contract) and Divorce (again a legal break-up)

Now relax and learn the rules of the game of Love and Romance

I'm also divorced, but I know I have a lot to offer someone I care about. Why should you not be capable of being romantic just because you had a prior bad relationship?