Lynne
Lynne asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

I need Help...Fast...!!!?

I've been playing the guitar for like 4 years now.

Recently, my palm, every time I hold the guitar, goes all weird and starts hurting and I cant grip anything for about 2 minutes. This is the first time its happening.

Does anyone know whats happening?

Has it happened to anyone before?

What can I do to stop it?

I gotta play at church tomorrow so I need help quick.

Favorite Answer

What you are describing sounds like the result of entrapment or compression of one of the nerves that runs across the inside of your wrist and palm.

This can be the result of a number of conditions, can also happen on its own accord for no reason at all or can be due to keeping your wrist bent in a particular position for long periods of time.

To get it sorted the best thing would be to arrange to see a doctor. They can do tests to confirm if it is that and then offer a number of different treatments.

A quick fix might be wearing a little splint-type bandage across your wrist to keep it supported and extended. You know, the sort of Tuby grip bandage that you might wear if you have sprained your wrist.

Hope this is of some help.

& Good luck for tomorrow :-)

YES, this does sound like carpal tunnel syndrome. It's from repeated motion of your hand in an unnatural position. For instance a lot of secretaries get this from typing at the keyboard. You don't need surgery, I don't know why the guy wrote that. It goes away on it's own if you get treatment. You need to see your doctor. You'll get some medication that will help with the pain, and be taught exercises to help, and most likely massage therapy or physical therapy. You'll also be told to wear a brace on your wrist to support it. I'm sorry but there is not quick cure to help you for tomorrow.

for tomorrow , try ibuprofen tablets about an hour before , pray for guidance & play the best you can . it sounds like it could be something long term like carpal tunnel , if so you will need surgery & your wrist will be outa action for at least 6 weeks

good luck & god bless

take it easy repetitive stress injuries can happen to small joint in the hands. even if involves very low impact activities in time you can develop stress and pain in your hands like carpeltunnel syndrome.

carpal tunnel syndrome

needs surgery