Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsReptiles · 1 decade ago

My turtles survived for a year but one of them is still small,what should I do?

I have three baby turtles after a year two of them were very big but the other one is still the same size.

Favorite Answer

I have 9 red eared sliders, 6 eastern map , 4 stink pot turtles. Some of my red eared sliders are much smaller than the other ones even though the smaller ones are the oldier ones. Just make sure he is eating enough and not being bullied by the larger ones. I feed mine in a large rubber maid tote so I can keep track of who is eating and who is'nt. one of my eastern map turtles for the first 2 years never seemed to grow and then all of a sudden within 3 months he went from measuring 2 inches in carapace length to almost 7 inches. So I would worry about it just make sure he is eating and keep the tank clean and make sure you have a UVB bulb for them.

Source(s): Turtle Owner for 12 years

dont worry about it! I have two water turtles and one has grown rapidly and the other is still small! It could just be a dwarfism case which is totally normal but also, try to see if the small turtles is eating! Some turtles refuse to eat especially at this time of year and if it was small before it wont put any weight on! Just treat it like a normal turtle but make sure it is eating!

WE have two African Spur Thigh tortoises, my son got them a couple years ago as a Christmas present. The male turtle is twice the size of the female, both are quite healthy, and both eat about the same amount..... usually the female is the first to the food and the last to leave. I talked with the breeser that we bought them from, she says that it is perfectly normal for a female to grow slower then a male in the first couple of years. Do you have any idea what the sex of your turtles are??? I know with tortoises the male has a wierd indent on its underbelly.... close to the right arm.. near the head. with spur thighs its to facilitate the breeding process... not sure how you would tell with water turtles or any other breed... sorry.

It could be a dwarf. All species have rare dwarfism cases. Try not to draw attention to your turtle's size, it may be a sensitive subject for him. After all, does size really matter? I have three water turtles, and I would love them all the same no matter what size they become.

i used to have two baby turtles. one got big (3 times larger) and one remained the same small. i thought that maybe the big one got all the food so i individually fed the small one. every time when i fed him he was so excited, swiming towards me and dancing in the water. about a year and half later he suddenly died. i was sad for days. the big one's still alive and kicking today. i think you should bring your small turtle to vet. you don't want to end up like my poor turtle!!!

Gently squeeze the top and bottom of its shell, if it's soft then take it to the vet, it could be lack of malnutrition. Otherwise it could just be a slow grower, completely common with turtles and tortoises.