how do i know if i'm considered an anorexic?

i eat as per normal, but i'm obsessed with calories and i think i'm fat even though everyone thinks otherwise, i exercise and try to burn off weight. i eat little in front of others, yet in secret i eat but not really binge. i avoid fats as much as i can and i weigh myself everyday. i know i was a worse-off anorexic three years back but ever since i quit my job, i move less and eat more and irregular and have gained some weight which upsets me... so what am i? help?

Favorite Answer

Anorexia is a serious condition. Please, please see a doctor ASAP. Anorexics often control their weight by voluntary starvation, purging, vomiting, and excessive exercise. Anorexia can put serious strain on your organs, especially the heart. The first step to treatment is immediate weight gain. Again, please see a doctor soon!

Well admitting to being obsessed with calories is a good sign that your not hiding anything, no I don't think you're anorexic just a little to concerned with your own weight, and if it gets any worse it could turn into an eating disorder.

Please don't try to "avoid fats" not all fats are bad there are many different types of fat and we need it to keep us warm and give us energy. Try to eat three balanced meals a day in front of others, there's nothing to be ashamed of sweetie, we all eat! remember your more likely to maintain a healthy weight by eating a proper breakfast and some small snacks to boost your metabolism.

Good Luck!

You would have to compare your weight & height. If too many people think you look anorexic, is it because you are thin? But then again, if you were anorexic, you'd say no anyway. I think the fact that you eat secretly is a danger sign. Ask yourself why do you eat? Do you eat to feel better? Or do you eat to live? Most people with eating disorders have underlying issues. Maybe hurting. Try to analyze yourself and if you can't, I think a therapist would be helpful. Don't be afraid to reach out! People do care!

• Amelie

I've been the same for years. I'm 50 now and still healthy and going strong! In fact, I think a low fat diet and regular exercise have helped to keep me very healthy and fit for my age. But I stayed with one principle - eat when you are hungry, but eat healthy foods and don't binge. And I rely on other people and my scale to tell me when I'm getting too thin.

I think you know the answer.!!!!! Your description of yourself is classic. Be extra careful. You do not realize the severe medical problems that can arise. A friend of mine dropped dead at the age of 28 due to complications from anorexia & bulemia. How tall are you and how much do you weigh???????

You didn't say how tall you are, or how much you weigh, so I can't tell how underweight you are! But in general, I would say, if you have to ask, then you have an eating disorder. Please don't be afraid to seek help. Everyone needs help with something. Patients records are kept confidential. Your friends and family will never know you are seeking help, if you don't want them to. Its life threatening. Just as important, its mentaly cripling. when you find your life and concerns revolving about one thing, its cramping your style, your enjoyment of life, your relationships. please please talk to your doctor.

my sister was bolemic ... it's tough because you think you're fat, but really you're way underweight... honestly, if it looks like a rose and smells like a rose ... it's a rose...so if everyone sees you as anorexic , then you should consider the possibility that you are... not that you're bad or anything, but eat something and don't throw-up... you'll be fine, and you should seek some counseling

doll, i think you already know the answer to this one but either way you need help.You need to speak to someone you feel comfy with about your attitude towards food and your body image because this will spiral out of control.Talk to your local woman's health centre or GP.Hope you are OK.

• jane7

You have all the signs. However, being aware is a good sign. Seek professional help - this is a disease that can kill you.

I am the same way so I know how you feel. It's hard and I dom't know how to help you. All I do know is that you are not alone.