Upgrade or scrap?

My system is a P4 1.8Ghz, 256 RAM, Geforce2 MX/400, 40G HD. It seems to be running very slow and hangs constantly, should i upgrade the hardwares or buy a new set totally? Any configuration to try if i want a gaming pc for games like WOW?

Favorite Answer

If you are planning to use it as a PC that surf Internet, email and some word processing, guess you can do nothing. Just need to reload the OS with min software in it. It should work.

If you want to play with new games and install the latest Vista, please hold you fire. First let Vista to stable first. Check different software on the support for Vista.

But get really for US$1500 min for a new machine if you plan to get Vista under your PC hood.

I think gettin a whole new computer would be better. I know for WoW, 1.8 is the lowest recommended processor speed... By the time you start adding up the costs of upgrades, you might as well get a new computer. If you can put a computer together, I'd go with newegg.com and get all the parts separately and build your own! You need some know how to do this, though.

My computer would be worth about $2400 if bought already assembled, but I paid only about $1200 for it. I like my gaming, hehe.

Depends on yer budget. If your computer hangs constantly, try re-installing windows. With just windows installed if it still hangs, you probably have a hardware problem. Typically caused by overheating. I have a P4 2.26G with 1GB mem, ati Radeon 7000 video, & 200GB HD. Not sure about WOW, but doom3 does OK. I've been researching abit MB with crossfire & core duo processor config. Now I just need $1000......

If your intention is to play graphic intensive games, get a new PC. I recommend an AMD dual core processor with around 1 or 2GB RAM. If you don't really mind not playing games, you can download AVG Anti- Spyware, Ad- Aware SE, and Spybot: Search & Destroy from www.filehippo.com under :Anti- Spyware". Run your scans every 2 days, and scan your hard drive for viruses. Also, defragment it every month. 40GB is pretty tiny nowadays, so I think the only logical option is to buy a new PC.

If u are thinking of custom building your system, then 'course go for a new one and u can still add the components from ur old pc to this new one... ur old pc still doesnt get wasted... Check with ur vendor/technician for options... he'll build it the best for you and make sure all the components are compatible proportion....cuz if u get even a 60 gb hard disk, with the addition of ur old one, u get 100gb total hard disk space . same with ur memory if its the new kind.... processor I dont think u can do much... Else. just scrap the old one... Checking ur options with ur vendor is good

Go for a new one. Don't waste your time and money on this PC, you'll get it up to play half of modern games and in a year it would be obsolete again. My advice, new one. Good luck!

• jan

Wait until you can buy a new one with Vista Premium pre-installed and then get a new one.

///

scrap is the best solution

reinstall it and keep only the bare minimum for your needs.