maexuwil asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

Working out/exercise and eating...?

Is is best to eat after or before working out/excersize. What is best to eat and how much is good. Also What is the best time of day to work out/exercise...morning, after classes, or at night. is all three the best?

Favorite Answer

eat after your workout to replenish, but make sure you have something in your stomach before going into the workout.

also, working in the morning is supposed to better for you. you start to burn fat and tear away at muscle sooner. theres a scientific way to explain this, but that would take me forever, so just take my word for it.

however, working out any time of the day would be fine, just as long as your not too tired if you go late at night.

You want to eat anywhere from 1 hour to 2 hours before exercise. Everyone is different so you have to find what is best for you. If you eat too soon before exercise your stomach won't like it. If you exercise 3 hours or more after eating, you might get light-headed and have much lower energy.

As far as when to exercise; some studies suggest that exercising early in the morning burns more calories but other studies say that the calorie expenditure during early morning exercise isn't significantly different than it is when exercising during other times of the day. I'm not looking for a debate here (I actually like my morning cardio and Tai Chi) I'm just want to bring up a much more important issue about scheduling exercise: Consistency.

All scientific studies agree with this idea: Inconsistent or non-existent exercise does not yield desired results (but you knew that already).

You should exercise when your schedule, motivation and life allow you to. When are you most likely to exercise, when is your schedule most often open enough and when will you not make excuses? If you're not a morning person, committing to 5, 6 or 7 AM workouts will lead to failure. If you ARE a morning person then maybe after-work workouts at 6, 7 or 8 PM are unreasonable for you. Maybe your schedule only allows for afternoon exercising.

CONSISTENCY should be your focus when it comes to exercise. Any extra benefit of a particular workout time will be totally negated if that time is unreasonable for you and you miss workouts. So pick a time that allows you to exercise regularly and strive for consistency.

Source(s): I am a personal fitness trainer in New York with 6 years of experience.

morning is the best time to do exercise. otherwise leave some time gap around 2 hours in meals and exercise.

in case you devour in the past understanding you are able to desire to attend an hour or so for the nutrition to settle in the different case you hazard getting cramps and feeling ill. in case you do no longer decide directly to attend an hour, devour after your exercising consultation.