Why do people have problems with offensive/dry humor jokes?

I don't know if it's Yahoo! Answers or just people in general, but it seems lots of people have problems with offensive jokes. Earlier, I asked a question like Should Atheists be rounded up and shot? Now, I guess that was a little harsh, but it was all in fun, why did 22 people respond in less than 1 minute acting like they wanted to cut my head off? People need to lighten up? Anyone agree? Last time I checked this is Still the USA, where you can say whatever you want!

Favorite Answer

First of all you need to remember that you can't hear sarcasm through writing.

Secondly, there are people who feel like people should be rounded up and shot so it is legitimate to assume that your question was real

I think the people who responded with head cutty should probably have explained there answers instead of screaming them, but you have to realize that there are a lot of people on here who seem to like causing a fuss and it can get irritating. Sometimes you post an answer to an offensive question without thinking about it. I know I have and actually deleted some of them because I felt they were inappropriate.

You have free speech but you must use it wisely. Offending others is using your speech in a hateful and inciteful way. It renders identifiable groups as victims and perpetuates stereo-types and prejudice. Such humour may be in fun for you but if your beliefs, ethnicity, race or culture were held up to ridicule and hate mongering, I think you would find it offensive as well. Just for the record: The constitution allows for your right to free speech, however hate mongering or inciting violence, or targetting an identifiable group for violence is not allowed. It is considered a hate crime. So much for your humour. The other thing you should know is that people don't need to lighten up, you need to develop some sensitivity and respect for the feelings of others.

The answer is easy...offensive joke hurt feelings and \or will make you angry!

The dry jokes , just are not funny...this is Still the USA, where you can say whatever you want, true. However, you cannot control how what you say will affect people.

...and there you have it!

No. This is not "Still the USA". Thank god it is not. This is the internet where people from all nations meet, people with different backgrounds, religions, beliefs. If you want to be respected, show some respect. If you can't do that, stop whining.

Source(s): From the Netherlands

Sorry Hillbilly, but you like others have a misunderstanding of The Constitution and it's Amendments.

Suggesting that harm be brought to other's is not covered under Free Speech. Free Speech applies constitutionally to publicly attacking policies and practices without fear of government reprisal.

They need to lighten up - or do you need to get a life?

And why do you find it so necessary to offend people in the first place? Is this your way of getting attention? or are you just an a**hole?

• kitt

sure, I shamefully admit that I even have had that have. An harmless tease became right into a real insult.. I discovered lots regarding the authentic character of a individual in that episode..and it haunts me to immediately. i will't have peace as a results of strikes of that individual.

Yes I agree and Im an Aussie there are lots of people who sit on their keyboards waiting to jump maybe its a new breed of people and we meet their need HNY.

if you hear someone say that in public, no one does anything or says anything. Here, there is no consequence for hating so it gets dished out constantly. I see the question "why can't we have world peace?" and have to say, look at the answers here and you will know.

Yep, so let them respond however they want and lighten up about it. Have fun.