hzl_elliot asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

how do i catch a guineapig?

i cant catch my guineapig please help

Favorite Answer

Is it inside or outside? Get a towel or blanket and when you see the guinea pig, throw the blanket on top. Get an apple or carrot and place it down for the guinea to smell and go to and be ready with the towel. (cut the apple in half so it smells more) try to have someone else watching because they can be very fast and move quickly from one space to another if you are leaving to get the treats and towel.

Source(s): I have chased a few in my day too. Good luck. Let me know if you catch it.

Put a dish on the floor with its favorite thing to eat. Sit quietly nearby until the guineapig comes to have a snack. Once it starts eating, grab it.

Approach the guinea pig slowly and talk in a soft voice "baby talk" will work . Guinea pigs have bad sight so they need to know that you are there or they will run because they think they are in danger. Be sure not to close him in a corner. Put a comforter on the floor. They like to snug up in those things. I have a guinea pig he used to run when i first got him but now he recognizes my voice and is no longer scared. Once you catch him make sure to talk to him on a regular basis like when you feed him "sweetie im going to feed you now" believe it or not the less stressed you are and the calmer you ar the calmer and less stressed your guinea pig is. Be sure not to yell and turn all TVs or music down this could frighten him. Let me know how all this works out for you. PS. Guinea pigs DO bite and they bite HARD. So be careful make sure not to corner him or jump after him at a fast pace he can hurt you if he feels threatened

Source(s): Guinea peeg owner for 3 years
  • averyl

hi. As you reported on your question, it would desire to be because of the fact she is an adolescent. bear in mind, inspite of people each and every so often the older human beings get the extra "crabbier" they replace into. it would desire to easily be your guineapig is in her older stages of existence or stepping into her older stages. What might I propose? in step with threat in the past choosing her up, bypass over to her with particularly lettuce or a manage like a dried out apple slice or piece of carrot, and convey it close to her with you once you bypass to %. her up. attempt even giving it to her as your choosing her up, and in step with threat she wont even comprehend you're touching or choosing her up because of the fact she'll be too busy nibbling away on her yummy snack. was hoping I helped out a sprint. good success.

i just usually pet it until it calms down.. i figure that once its relaxed while ur petting it you can pick them up. Or .. i have a pregnant one so i dont no how to hold her without squishing her babies lol. so i dont pick her up with my hand. i put a towel on the ground in her cage. then i hold a carrot above it until shes in the middle of the towel. then i grab the towel from both ends and pick her up.. uno like how the stalk bird did when u arrived into the world lol. good luck.

go to the store and buy a guineapig whistle... it really works!

just hold the food that the guineapig love and move closer to it .

the smell of the food will make to come nearer.

Lure it with a treat and/or corner it.

Create a corner with their cages and once in their quickly pick them up.

Using a broom to guide or assist if they get themselves into a tight spot can also help. Sometimes, they will find the most inconvenient spots to hide which you can't get to yourself. Don't hit them with it though.

Don't worry, as they get older they become easier to catch.

With one I have who is 7, she comes to me by me holding grass out in my hand!

Source(s): Personal experience - kept about 9 guinea pigs over the years.

I would put on some gloves and try to pick it up that way and if that doesn't work, you're screwed.

Oh please, they don't bite (usually). Just grab the darn thing.