What is the difference between condo appartment and condo co-op?

I often saw these two names on real estate adds,Condo Appartment and Condo Co-Op.

I really don't know wich differentiates one from the other,and what is the better choice when looking to buy an appartment?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

A regular condo sale is like purchasing any other condo, you are buying the property, you'll have a mortgage and have association fees. A co-op means you usually buy in at a fixed rate, you get approved by the condo association, and when it comes time to sell you are not the one who makes all the profit--your profit usually will have a ceiling on it set by the co-op. They can cost less to get into, but then again, you aren't seeing your investment appreciate the way it possibly could with a more traditional piece of real estate.

• 1 decade ago

Condo appartment:

Individual ownership of a portion of a building, with common areas shared by all owners. Maintenance fees called "assessments" are paid to the condominium association to maintain, repair, or improve the property.

• 1 decade ago

A coop is owned through shares of stock in the cooperative company. There is no deed to your specific unit.

A condo has a deed.

Either can have, or not have restrictions on living there, profit sharing, etc., although this is more prevalent in New York coops.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

condo/apartment: you rent an apartment

condo/co-op: you rent to own (I believe this is what it means, but perhaps just call an agent who made the ad up and ask)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.