pcd asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 decade ago

My parents won't let me work!?

i am a 16 yr old boy and I am anticipating my exam results. I want to work in the meantime, but my parents won't let me do it. All my friends have jobs already and they're the same age! The ones who aren't working come from really rich families where they are given money to go shopping. I want to buy stuff too, but my parents never give me any money, especially now because its the school holidays. They make me stay at home all day and clean up the house. When I go out with my friends, I use my savings to buy lunch and movie tickets and etc. I'm running out of cash, and I can't work. To top it all off, I can't ask my parents for dough, because they won't give it to me! How can I change their mind.

When I ask them if I can work, they give stupid reasons. Once I asked to work at a pizzeria near my house, and my mother went "I don't want you to be a cook" and she also said "who is going to clean up the house and take care of the baby". Help!

Favorite Answer

It is not your job to clean up the house and take care of the baby. It is admirable you want to get a job to earn your own money. Can you get some advice in confidence from social services maybe? Your parents need to take responsibility for the house and baby, or pay you an allowance to do it.

• Jane

None of the people I hang around really dress like that, but I'd be lying if I said there weren't girls at my school who come to school dressed way too inappropriately. I'm 18 and the only time I *ever* wear a thong is when I wear my leggings as pants with a flowy shirt. I know there's seamless underwear but that can only go so far when you're wearing leggings. I don't think that parents would allow their kids to dress like that, I think it's more of a thing where the kids are trying to rebel so they'll do whatever they can to do that. Like the other commentor said, girls can wear revealing clothing and just wear a jacket over it and take it off once they get to school. People are going to do what they want to do and there's nothing we can really do about it. Usually girls who act like that aren't going to change anytime soon so the best you can do is just not stoop to that level and keep being 'mature'..

OK..you need to ask your parents their reasons as to why they stop you from working. Surely you can convince them that the house can be cleaned during the weekends. Also it is not a good idea for a 16 year old to take care of a "baby"!! Use these as your justifications for letting you work during the week days.

Then buy some books in the lines of "Rich Dad Poor Dad" and give it to your parents. This should help them understand why starting young and making your own money gives you a better start in life.

Worse still, send them the link of answers to your Yahoo question and this will make them realize how serious you are about wanting to work.

This is admittedly a tough one. Your parents are undoubtedly being unfair to you and you need someone one your side to help convince them - an uncle or neighbour or anyone who could support you and who they might listen to!? Knowing myself at your age I would have gone out, got the job and then told my parents about it - 16 year olds get away with MUCH more than that - they should be proud that you are willing and eager to earn your own spending money. So, get some support and go for it. Good luck.

Study hard, get on your own and then you can do all those things with a good education. I don't think there's changing your parents.

• Nikki

If you do well in school, I don't see why you couldn't work. However, she does have the say until you are 18....

Maybe see if you can work during the summer. n

same prob ere but oh well as long as your happy im 13 my parents dont trust me but i love them anyway