what is the difference btw core duo and core 2 duo?

im trying to buy a new laptop

3 Answers

Relevance
  • jan
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

This has been asked and answered many many times.

Check the 'discover' button up there.

Core 2 Duo is the second generation of Core Duo chips.

Newer faster better.

///

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Core duo 1.66GHz vs Core 2 Duo 1.83GHz, how much difference?

Keep in mind that a 10% difference, as illustrated in the review I linked, is only in specific instances - you won't see 10% everywhere. As a matter of fact, in some places you'll see 0% (that is extreme too though, to be fair). To better understand the performance difference, I created a histogram. See attached.

As you can see, the data is skewed to the right - that means the mean, or average performance difference was pulled up by the higher values. Most of the data values are on the left - aka, most applications see a small performance difference. A 5% and up difference only occurs a few times. Most applications lie below a 4% difference. Now, if this distribution was skewed to the left (basically take the opposite of what you see - more data values on the right), then yes, the 4MB version would be worth considering more.

Of course, @ the person deciding between a 2MB and 4MB Core 2 Duo - take a look at the benchmarks I linked to and see what soft of performance differences exist in applications you will be using. If the difference is upwards of 5-7%, then you might as well go for the 4MB version. Most people are not going to notice the difference between the two processors.

• Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.