hum asked in Cars & TransportationMotorcycles · 1 decade ago

What is a good all-around motorcycle for taking across the states?

I'm looking to take about 6 months off starting in an upcoming spring, and I was wondering if anyone with experience in bikes has any suggestions. I have about 4K to spend, I could probably afford 6.. Thanks

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

as far as buying a bike that would be the best for a cross country trip....even used....they dont exist. the best cross country bikes would be the touring bikes: gold wings, road kings, royal star's...the big bikes. but big bikes also have a big price.

i dont know if metric dealers rent out their tourer's either. the only dealer that rents bikes that i've heard of is harley davidson. the best choice for harley would be either the ultra classic, or the road king. be aware that harley requires u to have at least 1 yr of having ur mc LICENSE...mc permits cannot rent.

any bike will make the trip. u will be the weakest link in the 'chain'. a sportster will have no problems making a trip like this. it's been done by alot of sportster owners. all thats needed is a few add-on's, and a sportster could be used. i assume u'll be riding solo, not 2-up.

lets just say u found a decent 1200cc sporty, and by luck, it already has saddle bags, engine guard with highway pegs, comfortable handle bars. the biggest key to turning a sporty into a tourer is in the seat. best harley seat: sundowner. aftermarket: mustang. would be a good idea to add a luggage rack and a sissy bar. there's add-on bags u could put on these 2 area's.

top it off with a detachable windsheild. the wind blast will become very draining and tiring after about 150 steady miles.

if u want to rap with a guy that would be able to teach u how to load a sporty up that can do a cross country trip, go to www.harleychatgroup.com, and ask a guy named tradrockrat.

he rides a 1200 sportster, and he can put enough gear on his bike to rival the capacity of a gold wing...and has the pics to prove it.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Goldwings, BMW's, etc are nice but its unlikely you will find a reliable one in reasonable shape for 4-6 k. Nor will you find a decent Harley for anywhere near that price.

You should be able to find a larger, recent model Japanese bike thats in good shape for that price range. You will want to add a windshield and saddle bags if you are going to be doing any highway riding.

Doesn't matter what you ride, just Ride!

• 1 decade ago

The Honda Goldwing is the was to go. You can get a Pop-up to pull and camp - Check out this web site some Lady's took a trip and put in on the web. Have a Great Trip.

http://www.oldbagsonbikes.com/

Be Safe

• 1 decade ago

A good choice will be a Goldwing but I doubt you can get one in good condition for 4K perhaps the Kawasaki Voyager will be ideal for your budget.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Any Honda Goldwings

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Honda Gold Wing, Kawasaki Voyager, or Yamaha Venture are all great luxury touring bikes. Voyager is out of production so that may be the best buy for you.

Stay away from VTwins if you can.

• 1 decade ago

For the trip you're talking about and the money available, I would definitely look for a good used 1500 Goldwing!!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

gold wings, kawasaki concourse , honda st1100or 1300 ,bmw, fj series by yamaha all good bikes for your money and intended purpose ebay is crawling with nice options

• 1 decade ago

Check out used Beemers (BMW), good all around cycles, not too heavy, most all you'll find will already have luggage (saddle bags, hard cases), very dependable.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.