what does it mean when people (spell)God this way or this god this way?

does it mean anything?????

Favorite Answer

Capital 'G' is showing respect, and when people see the capital 'G' they know it's referring to the Creator...but with a small 'g', it can mean any statue that is worshipped...and showing disrespect if someone says it's for the Creator!

God with a capital 'G' is meant to be the title of the Christian God; god with lower-case 'g' as a general word. For instance: the ancient Hebrews believed in many gods until Abraham's conversations with God.

It's interesting to look deeper into it, though, if you're ever interested. For instance, the original Hebrew Bibles don't talk about God in that way (or 'LORD'), but instead call him by his personal name. It makes a bit of difference, that.

God refers to a specific name (The one God)

god is a noun that refers to a non specific deity or as a definition.

like the difference between Rose the name and rose the flower

God=The Alpha and Omega, The Capital G

god=the other gods that are worshiped for some people money is their god. Also Jesus was a god but not God.

It is not a matter of how it is spelled. Unless you are spellbound. Keep in mind that God has it's rootwords that go back to the roots of the Indo-European language tree. Check it out for yourself.

• bess

As a Christian we refer to Him in capitals to show respect and help to read the bible that way when there are a bunch of pronouns you know if it is God speaking. We also refer to all other god's in lower case unless addressing them by name like Dianne.

In general, "God" refers to the character in the Christian Bible, and "god" (or goddess) refers to one of the thousands of other gods (and goddesses). Neither is more important or more correct than another - the other gods (and goddesses) simply have names - like Zeus, Thor, Loki, Krishna, Horus, etc.

I use G to denote the one and only true GOD. Actually I most often will capitalize all the letters when I refer to the LORD GOD ALMIGHTY out of my worship for HIM and all HE has done for me. I will not use G for any other god nor will I capitalize satan.

I spell God with a capital letter out of respect.

• Oops, Sherzade gave part of my answer. Also, I think it's literally correct to spell in with a capital "G".