A vegan at 13?

I'm concidering being a vegan because I love animals and this video I saw REALLY convinced me, what do you guys think?

*if you wanna see the vid, the site's www.goveg.com

Don't get me wrong, but this isn't a phase or something. Animals have been my passion for as long as i car remember and i just don't want to be part of the problem anymore

i know what the differences are. just go to www.goveg.com to see why i want to be a vegan.

Favorite Answer

Sweetie, whatever your reasons are just make sure they are YOUR reasons. If it is something you feel strongly convicted about then follow your heart (as lame as that sounds). Take it from experience, you will be more dedicated to a cause if your whole heart, mind and being are behind it.

P.S. A few tips (again from experience)...a.) don't force your beliefs on others b.) don't take the stance that others are wrong because they don't believe the way you do and finally c.)-this was my biggest hurdle growing up vegetarian and going through basic training as a vegan-DON'T feel you have to justify your beliefs or decisions to ANYONE! The only person you answer to is God (if you so believe) other than that everyone else's opinions, in the grand scheme of things, really doesn't matter.

Your life, your livelihood....follow your heart chica!!

Much luck!!

• toso13

Make sure you're doing it for your own reasons, not someone else's reasons. If you don't really believe in your reasons for doing it, you'll never be able to stick to it.

One thing I always find funny is that people who aren't vegan like to tell people that its unhealthy or difficult to be healthy on a vegan diet. People who bring up protein as a problem are the ones to watch out for. Protein is not hard at all to get as a vegan. You'll have more issues with calcium than you ever will with protein. I've been vegan since I was 14 and I'm now 30. I'm 6' tall and a bit overweight. Most vegans I know are not small, unhealthy people. They look like everyone else.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

If you are going to be vegan go ahead, I personally advise against it, especially if you don't do research on how to maintain your health and get around the lack of nutrients you get from meat and other things vegans don't eat. Also realize that being vegan and vegetarian are different, if your only problem is with the killing of animals, then you should probably become a vegetarian instead of a vegan. Anyway, I have seen many vegetarians and vegans and have yet to see one that is truthfully healthy, they are usually weak due to a lack of various nutrients that come exclusively from meat. I like animals too, but there is no way to completely substitute for meat and I personally believe that animals are here for our use, so I have no problem eating them. If you do, I'm not going to stop you, but I will advise you not to do so.

btw, eating meat isn't a problem

I read your website, well most of it, and I still see no reason to not eat meat. I do still see reason to not use genetic engineering and hormones to increase the size and growth rate of animals, vegetables, and fruits, but not any reason to not eat meat.

well im 13. Im not a vegan though, a vegetarian. but yeahh i saw that video and its soo convincing. but i was a vegetarian before that.

if your not a vegetarian now and want to be a vegan, start easy and slowly eliminate meats and dairy from your diet..dont just cut down on all the nutrition because it could be unhealthy.

but yeahh vegetarianism is an amazing lifestyle and you can look at animals without feeling guilty

Make an informed decision regarding this, rather than an emotionally appealing one.

Get a book (even from the library) by Dr. D'Adamo called "Eat Right For your Type", find out your blood type from your Dr/medical records, and read up.

The reason there is so much disagreement in opinions on dietary matters is that there is really no one-size-fits-all diet.

I get weak, sick, and light headed without meat (I'm type "O" blood). My friend gets sluggish, tired, cruddy feeling from meat, she is a diferent blood type.

This is the best, most scientifically sound info. I have read on nutritionally adaquate dietary habits-those that will cause you to thrive.

It's also quite an interesting & fun read.

This Dr. and his M.D. father have been doing their studies for years. If you only read one book on the subject, this would be the one.

btw, if you do need to eat meat, as many of us do, buying organic from organic farmers is the way to go. They generally are much more in touch, & run small farms that do not employ the horrific techniques of mass production/slaughter to which I assume you are referring. It's generally only 5 to 15% more cost for organics, and the taste & nutrtritional content are far above the massed produced, conventional foods that are grown to appeal to the eye (from hybrids) rather than for taste and content.

UCSC has recently conducted studies showing organic produce to be 300 to 500% higher in nutrients than their conventional counterparts.

Lastly, be very, very careful, as your brain and body developement require more quality protein at this (growth) stage of your life than at any other time. You are forming permanently developed organs, musculoskeletal system, etc. that will have a lifetime of health benefits/consequences. These are very serious decisions you are making for your health and strength now and for the future, do not choose without being very, very careful. Protein is the building blocks for all your DNA.

A Happy & Healthy New Year to you, and congratulations for being a teen who is thoughtful about their dietary choices- kudos to you!

p.s. I love animals too! Especially those loveable little ferrets!

Source(s): "Eat Right For Your Type", research, experience

Personally, I think its awesome. I wish I had had that conviction at 13.

I've been vegetarian for 5 years, and am going ever closer towards totally vegan. I make exceptions for eggs and dairy in the food my parents make, and when they buy me dinner out and about. Otherwise my cooking is totally vegan.

It is important to get proper nutrition on any diet. Make sure you are getting adequate omega-3 fatty acids, B-12, Iodine, Vitamin D, Calcium, and Magnesium. Be sure to eat a balanced diet that includes a broad range of vegetables, as well as whole grains and legumes. People are generally way too panicky about protein, but on an american diet its easy to get too much.

I put a link in the sources section that has some great info on vegan nutrition. Good Luck!!

Go for it! It's perfectly healthy for you as long as you do it right. Make sure you read about proper Vegan nutrition before you make the swich. A good book is called, Becoming Vegan.

ADA position paper on Vegetarian and Vegan Diets

Vegetarian Diets June 2003 (Vol. 103, Issue 6, Pages 748-765)

Abstract

It is the position of the American Dietetic Association and

Dietitians of Canada that appropriately planned vegetarian diets are

healthful, nutritionally adequate and provide health benefits in the

prevention and treatment of certain diseases. Approximately 2.5% of

adults in the United States and 4% of adults in Canada follow

vegetarian diets. A vegetarian diet is defined as one that does not

include meat, fish or fowl. Interest in vegetarianism appears to be

increasing, with many restaurants and college foodservices offering

vegetarian meals routinely. Substantial growth in sales of foods

attractive to vegetarians has occurred, and these foods appear in

many supermarkets. This position paper reviews the current scientific

data related to key nutrients for vegetarians, including protein,

iron, zinc, calcium, vitamin D, riboflavin, vitamin B-12, vitamin A,

n-3 fatty acids and iodine. A vegetarian, including vegan, diet can

meet current recommendations for all of these nutrients. In some

cases, use of fortified foods or supplements can be helpful in

meeting recommendations for individual nutrients. Well-planned vegan

and other types of vegetarian diets are appropriate for all stages of

the life cycle, including during pregnancy, lactation, infancy,

childhood and adolescence. Vegetarian diets offer a number of

nutritional benefits, including lower levels of saturated fat,

cholesterol, and animal protein as well as higher levels of

carbohydrates, fiber, magnesium, potassium, folate, and antioxidants

such as vitamins C and E and phytochemicals. Vegetarians have been

reported to have lower body mass indices than nonvegetarians, as well

as lower rates of death from ischemic heart disease; vegetarians also

show lower blood cholesterol levels; lower blood pressure; and lower

rates of hypertension, type 2 diabetes, and prostate and colon

cancer. Although a number of federally funded and institutional

feeding programs can accommodate vegetarians, few have foods suitable

for vegans at this time. Because of the variability of dietary

practices among vegetarians, individual assessment of dietary intakes

of vegetarians is required. Dietetics professionals have a

responsibility to support and encourage those who express an interest

in consuming a vegetarian diet. They can play key roles in educating

vegetarian clients about food sources of specific nutrients, food

purchase and preparation, and any dietary modifications that may be

necessary to meet individual needs. Menu planning for vegetarians can

be simplified by use of a food guide that specifies food groups and

serving sizes.

I'm 14 && I've been a vegetarian since age 8 .. && I haven't eaten a hamburger since I was 4! Everyone thought it was a phase or whatever with me but eventually they figured out I wasn't going to eat meat [which my whole family does!]

But I totally think you should follow thru. Being a vegan is really hard tho. Vegan is where you eat NOTHING that contains animal products, including dairy, eggs, && any foods that even contain traces of them. I'm not that committed lol .. my policy is if they had to kill an animal to make it ;; I don't eat it, making me a lacto-ovo-vegetarian [umm I think.] I'd recommend doing that unless you want to be reading alot of ingredient labels to make sure you aren't eating milk or something.

Good luck tho =]

Go for it if you want. But it's best to consult a nutritionist, because without any dairy products or meat, you can be missing some essential minerals and nutrients from your diet, especially if you are only 13 and still growing. Be careful, or you can do some damage to your body.

No problem being a vegan at any age, as long as you get enough protein to support the years of rapid growth.