how long does it take for dissolving stitches to go away?

i had a deviated septem/chronic sinus infection surgery yesterday and there are the self-dissolving stitches in my nose...about how long will it be for them to disolve? i havent had stitches since i was real young and cant remember...

thank you!!!

Favorite Answer

Depending on the type of suture used it can last from 7 to 10 days up to 6 weeks. Since it is in your nose the surgeon probably used the quicker disolving suture as nasal tissue only require short term tissue/wound support.

Not long, about 2-3 weeks.

Incidentally, sometimes they don't disappear. Many years ago, I had ear tuck surgery with dissolving stitches. A year afterwards, I itched behind my ear and went to my mother, who got out the tweezers and pull out a short length of stitch - and ended the itching. Maybe they've improved stitches since, but I think those that are exposed to air may not dissolve -- or at least, that's the explanation my pediatrician gave at that time!

It depends on the area stitched and the type of floss used, but the average is about a week and a half to two weeks. Also don't be surprised if they start to prickle when they start dissolving. It's not fun, but it's normal.

Source(s): personal experience

Normally about 3 weeks, unless you drink an alcoholic drink then it will dissolve right away.

7 days

normally 7 - 10 days.

dont bother or think about them, they will dissolve on their own.

It depends on the size of the suture; chromic suture can last from 10 days to three weeks. Needless to say don't pull on them.

• about a week-2 weeks tops

in bout two week they start to dissolve and fall out.

2-3 WEEKS