Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsBotany · 1 decade ago

Have you ever seen a toad on a toadstool?

Favorite Answer

Hmmm. I always thought that they were called "toadstools" because the rough surface of the fungal cap often looks a bit like the rough skin of a toad. Others have tried to make a conection between the hallucinatory properties of both (doubtful IMO). I have even seen people asking whether the "stool" refers" to a bowel movement by the toad.

Hee is one explanation:

"Toadstool is said by many dictionaries to be a fanciful construction from toad + stool but at least one edition of the Encyclopedia Britannica carried a series of photographs which showed a male toad mounting a specimen of Fly Agaric (Amanita muscaria) as if he thought it a female of his own species.  The author of  the  Encyclopedia Britannica article believed that this quite neatly explained the name toadstool.  We might agree, too, if it were not for the fact that toad-hat is an alternative name in some dialects and we have yet to see photos of a toad trying on fungal millinery."

No, I've never seen a toad on a toadstool. Could it be due to an evolutionary influence? Those toads that sat on the toadstool were poisoned by the toadstool and died. Other toads watched this and decided to avoid the toadstools and thus they survived and taught their young to also avoid the toadstool.

• kitt

basically to smite you and the answerer above who mentioned the toadstool could cave in below the burden of the toad, I basically went exterior and positioned my puppy toad on a mushroom. The "toadstool" did not cave in. And sure, I even have considered a toad on a toadstool, even though it did not get there of course.

Quite often while looking for four-leaf-clovers using hunting methods 2 and 4. See the question about Four-leaf clover.

HEY come to think of it NO and I live in the country with a small stream in the back woods and a small pond.....Hmmmmmm something FISHY going on here, I conclude there is something AMUCK! Get back to you DUDE!