Mark P
Mark P asked in Social ScienceEconomics · 1 decade ago

What is the rate of return from military hegemony?

If half the 2006 DOD budget of $442 billion (not counting $85 billion supplemental) were invested elsewhere (infrastructure, education, subsidies, direct foreign aid) would the rate of return be higher? Has anyone tried to quantify the value of geo-political capital that hegemony provides? Is it worth the investment?

Serious answers only please, take your vitriol elsewhere.

don't like hegemony? Fine, I understand that it can be loaded... how about preeminance?

No such thing as geo-political capitial? I strongly disagree, our policies and international presence affords us semi quid pro quo opportunities. Case in point, the unedited Blix Report prior to Operation Iraqi Freedom. Kofi Annan was in the process of being marginalized in the US and could not deny America's request to see the unedited report. The only other person with the authority to deny us access was the president of the UN, at that time the Colombian ambassador. The US had no leg to stand on in demanding the unedited report, in fact the demand itself was absurd and could ONLY be made by (reinforcing my point) a hyoer-power/hegemon. Colombia couldn't say no, because Uribe is tied at the hip to Bush... and a debt is owed the US for Plan Colombia and the ARI.

This is what I am describing when I say "geo-political capital".

Favorite Answer

The way you ask you question is vitriol in nature, its funny how you supposedly can't take what you are dishing out.

Of course I may be totally off base if you are not refering to the American Department of Defense, because in fact the DOD does not practice hegemony. Why must you phrase your question in such a way that cowardly forces the askee to agree with you position in the first place.

Nice attempt at dragging the "red herring".

Source(s): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignoratio_elenchi and some freestyle review of "conversational terrorism" -Dean and Marshall VanDruff, © 1995
  • NC

There is no such thing as "geo-political capital"; just as there are no such things as phlogiston or epicycle...

The rate of return from military hegemony is the long-run is negative. Military hegemony is just like a drug addiction; over time, it requires more and more resources just to be maintained. Just take a look at what happened to Spain between 1400 and 1900...

Military hegemony inevitably leads to massive loss of the most valuable asset, human life. Additionally, military hegemony threatens democracy at home; if the government is used to being a military dictatorship abroad, what's to keep it from becoming one at home?

I think that is too complicated and broad a calculation to really figure. Though I suppose rough estimates could be made and I do now know of any. Nice answer huh :)