What's the advantage of mail-in rebate?

I am a foreigner to Canada. I saw many things which is mail-in rebate, I think is too complicated. So I am not want to buy it. Does there any advantage or just a trick?

Favorite Answer

The only advantage to mail-in rebates are to the producers and sellers of a product and not to the consummer of the product. The problem with mail-in rebates is that consumer can lose the rebates make it possible their for that the people giving you those rebates to get you to buy their product get to keep the money they say they are going to save you off the product price. Its just a gimmick to get you to buy a product.

Good Luck!!!

• ginger

The advantage to you is that you get a good discount for your efforts. The advantage to the company is that a lot of people will be attracted to the product because of the rebate but then won't follow through with the paperwork to cash in the rebate.

It does seem like a lot of trouble, but sometimes you can get pretty good deals.

I recently bought a laptop that was like 300 dollars mail in rebate, and it came in a series of about 3 weeks, and it came in checks of 20-50 dollars, its not that bad its just that, you want the money now!

But retail stores use them as a way to show their products as cheap which attracts customers, also manufacturers lose no money because by then they have enough money to pay you.

• Moon

I cannot really think of any advantage of mail-in rebates from the consumer's point of view. I think stores do that hoping you'll forget to submit before the deadline or submit an incomplete request (and they get to reject). :S Some stores don't give you rebates despite what they promise even if you do everything right.

• jane7

It is kind of a trick. The company snares you with the offer and if you send it in, then you get the money back. What they are hoping is that you will loose it or not mail it in. Then they won't have to pay it. So, you see, it's cheaper for the company than just marking the price down, because some of us always loose it.

You get a check for the amount. The downfall is you have to wait for it. Companies do this because they know that not everyone will send them in, but do it. I do it all the time and there have been times when I forget about and all of a sudden I get a check in the mail for 50 to 100 dollars.

You mail in the rebate, and you get a percentage of your money back. It's kinda like an after-the-purchase coupon, they'll send you a check for the amount they tell you they'll reimburse you for. Do it, it'll save you money!