What percentage of poor people might be mentally ill?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

i would guess about 10 percent.and the percentage only rises with an untouchable sanity after 2 million.try a study of your own and look at footage of people that you would say are well off and i think you will find the percentage closer to 85 percent or better if you could be a fly on the wall behind closed doors the percentage may even be higher.have fun

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

I think your question is backward . What percentage of the mentally ill are poor . And I would answer a large percentage , in most places they get very little help without money

• 1 decade ago

Poor or Rich people! Percentages do not count, as mental illness mostly comes out in people when their childhood has not worked out for the best.

Source(s): Just experience.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

At least 72% "might" be mentally ill. Poverty in itself causes a great deal of stress as not knowing where the next meal is coming from reduces ones confidence level and disbelief in self reliance. Add in the burden of feeding a family and you have multiple stress factors that contribute to mental strain.

Meanwhile Bill Gates, and Warren Buffet together are worth "Ninety Thousand Million Dollars" not to mention all the other "Multi-billionaires" like Oreck the vacuum cleaner man and hundreds of others who turn a blind eye towards poverty. Check the Forbes list of the top 100 Multi-Billionaires for a eye opening reality check. Then ask yourself "How could there be poverty in America?"

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

That depends upon the geographic location of the poor people in question. In countries where poverty is a choice (US., U.K., etc.) a high percentage. Conversely in countries such as Africa a smaller percentage.

This question also depends upon your definition of mentally ill.

• 1 decade ago

thats a pretty loaded question.

A rephrased answer might be to say the majority of mentally ill people are poor.

Perhaphs not the other way around.

• 1 decade ago

is W poor?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.