I was wondering,, why can black people call other black people the "N" word, but white people can't?

I was curious about something. I've noticed this, and am A bit concerned. I see a lot where some black people can call eachother the "N" word, and it's cool. However, white people say something like "What's up my "N", and some black people become extremely offended. Lots of the people who become offended are always like , Well, I just want us all to be equal. However, if they want to be equal, why is it that they don't mind other black people doing it, but they do mind us doing it? That doesn't sound very equal to me. Sounds a bit hypocritical? Anyone have anything on this?

Favorite Answer

As a Black woman--who does not use the word I might add--I have to admit that there is a huge double standard at play. With that said, I agree with you wholeheartedly and feel that we should all be equal and not use the word at all. This way, no one can be labeled a hypocrit and we would have one less racial slur to throw around.

It is hypocritical, and I do agree with you that a lot of people say they want to be equal while at the same time asking to be treated differently from others.

I think the people who use that word within their own race feel that they're using it in a different context and in kind of a familial way, and I can see why they would think so. However, I think it's all or nothing...people should either accept it being used by anyone (NOT in a derogatory way, but in the "friendly" way some use it), OR they should understand that if it's so bad that certain people can't even say it out loud, then no one should use it at all in any way. I would choose the latter. I prefer not to hear that word at all.

Well for the fact that it was used as a EVIL term towards blacks by WHITE PEOPLE...not blacks...we never went around in the old days callin each other the n-word. I do agree that it should be stopped but it's like if you and your friends have a secret word that only you all use(lets say you called each other *****(no offens)). If someone else started using it and calling you that you'd get offended. A lot of blacks use it to somewhat lessen the pain felt in the word and to somewhat make mockery of the word by kinda saying "look...we took your malicious word and made it everyday" but i dont think it should be used...

Maybe because it's what the white people used to insult their ancestors years ago. But if that is an offending word, then , they should not let anyone, white or black, call them that.

I hear ya...I don't know why my black Afro brothers and sisters do that stupid junk either....personally I don't use the N word to refer to me or my fellow black brother or sisters simple because the word is degrading and the history behind it...and I get offended when people white or black call me it...But I think my Afro brothers and sisters call each other my "N" b.c of the music world...they've made the word my "N" cool as long as it is said by a black person....its not cool if said by a white person or anybody else b.c as I said b.f the history behind it...its all very stupid

Black friends told me it is o.k. to call them that but it really depends on your tone and intent . It has to be said in a friendly way and with friends .To a stranger ;bad idea.Not everybody is cool with that.I personally think it is silly and I do not use this term.I think it reduces people to a 1 dimensional quality and that's not good; friendly intent or not.

I've been walking around singing the

Blessid Union of Souls song

I BELIEVE.

It's about a black man and a white female in a relationship.

He refers to himself as "a ***** from the streets".

It seems a little funny saying it, but I love the song...unedited version!

Well i use to have alot of black friends and they didnt mind if i called them "ni**a" you just have to make sure who its cool to say it around and not now if you say the real "N"' word then yeah they get offended ive never used that word. Even going through high school i said it when i hung out with my black hommies and they didnt care, and im white. I guess its how you use it and when!!!

I don't like the word at all. But I have always wondered the same thing.

This word is funny, and we have to be practical , coz life is UNFAIR... sometimes, there is no right or wrong answers.

Try to adapt and live with it.If they dont like being called like that by you, then dont..It helps not being stubborn.