bree asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

How can I run faster and longer?

.......build more stamina, that sort of thing. I don't understand it because i'm athletic looking (people think i do track because most of my friends do), but i'm a slow runner and get tired really quickly even if i'm pacing myself! can i fix this, or is this part of my genetic makeup? help please!

i'm not a fatty...

i'm 5'7'' and 115 pounds.

and i'm 15....so i don't think my 'age' has anything to do with it.

Favorite Answer

nothing to do with genetics. its just gonna come down to how bad you want it. Start by going at a pace that you know you can finish a mile in without stopping, even if its a 13 minute mile, do it where you dont have to stop. then just go a little bit faster each time. lots of running and pushing yourself is the only way to do it. you just have to dig deep and run through the pain.

Source(s): ran track in highschool and now for Sac State

Just keep going past the point you are tired. See how much longer you can go, don't worry about how fast as long as one foot is going in front of the other and you are moving. Push yourself a little further each day and it will get easier. Try running on much harder ground like up hills then going back to flat and you'll find you can run on the flat much longer and faster than you could before. It is like when you hike and a weighed down by the pack and then when you finally take it off you feel like you can fly.

Definitly check out my recent blog entry on building endurance and strenghthening your body and the such

http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-bCJcpYYyc6M.rBmxoZe...

now for a brief answer, Interval Cardios and Resistance Cardios are something a lot athletes lean towards. When i began track and field I stuck mainly to cross country because I could run long distances but was crappy when it came to sprints and dashes, I discovered by working to build up my speed through Interval and Resistance excercises I was able to increase my speed and that was back when I was 15. Check out the blog and read it throughly for great tips and excercises.

Keep in mind where i say weight lifting, keep it minimal or light since youre a runner!

Pacing yourself will not build endurance. Pushing yourself will. If you have been checked out by a physician and are in good health push yourself to go longer, faster, further. Exceeding ones limits is how one builds endurance. I was a runner once. I was average, not too fast for a long time. Eventually, after pushing myself beyond my limits on a daily basis I became faster, stronger, I ran further. Give it time and it will come, its more mental than anything.

run every week. start at a slow pace and speed up. then slow down again.

try this every week and run 1/5 of a mile longer each month. =D

this would help

Don't eat so much food, fatty. And if you wanna break some records, you better be from Tanzania girrrl

Run more...longer, faster will come

train hard every morning

THIS COULD BE GENETIC OR BECAUSE OF YOUR "AGE". OR COULD BE RESPIRATORY PROBLEM. CHECK AND SEE A DOCTOR...

your the wrong race...........study harder! hee hee

Source(s): guinness world records